Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that I finally did something about it. I have broken the driver's side door handle at least 6 times since I got my Bronco June 1. This last time it didn't last one day. So I was going to make a steel one but since I like the feel of the stock handle I took the busted end and added a steel base and will try it. These replacement handles are all Dorman made in China garbage and I believe it's the same supplier Ford uses.

The parts... I turned the end of a 5/16 shaft to.225 and used a #2 drill to make the hole in the plastic handle. Made the base form a piece of 3/16 x 1 flat stock.

Ready for wleding...

Assembled and ready on the bench... I used LocTite epoxy glue to glue the steel shaft into the plastic grip.

I used small hose clamp aournd the plastic part to give it more strength..

Back in place in the door...

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Why are you going all HULK on your door handles?
This.

I have never broken an interior door handle. broke an exterior handle once but it was so brittle that the resulting throwing of the handle broke it into 20ish peices

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had the same problem. someone told me that it's because something is messed up inside--causing you to pull up harder on the handle. i bought a new plastic one and snapped it within a week. THEN, i found out that JBG has some metal/chrome ones. Picked up one of those for pretty cheap and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My 80 has metal ones........................never broke one????? Pretty sure as strong as U if not alot stronger ..........LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Never knew that this was a problem. Sounds like you have found the solution. Is it always the drivers door or have you broken the passenger side as well?

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plate that the latch assembly and spring is mounted to was cracked and wobbly and wouldn't allow the handle to open the door very well. I repaired that with a 1/4 plate and a 1/4-20 screw now it is solid but it still seems to take too much force to open the door. These junky handles are just that cheap junk and very weak. Looks to be crystalized when I look at the break. I just might get a set of the metal ones. I'm defintely not going HULK on my door handles and the right side doesn't have that problem.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never knew that this was a problem. Sounds like you have found the solution. Is it always the drivers door or have you broken the passenger side as well?
Haven't broken the pass side yet but I rarely use the passenger side but I know it is definitely easier to open.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same problem. someone told me that it's because something is messed up inside--causing you to pull up harder on the handle. i bought a new plastic one and snapped it within a week. THEN, i found out that JBG has some metal/chrome ones. Picked up one of those for pretty cheap and the problem is gone.
Are you talking about Bronco Graveyard? I just searched there for door handles and nothing.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HELP line at a auto parts store.....................Bone yard also
That's exactly what all of these were HELP parts at Autozone and O'Reiley's. No Broncos in the JY right now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Replace the cable to the door striker otherwise the problem will happen again or you'll end up ripping the mounting point for the door off the door. I, too, have broken a few handles on my '97 F350. I even took the chrome ones off of the '85 Bronco and used them. When that one broke I made my own... it doesn't fix the problem of the stretched out cable.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replace the cable to the door striker otherwise the problem will happen again or you'll end up ripping the mounting point for the door off the door. I, too, have broken a few handles on my '97 F350. I even took the chrome ones off of the '85 Bronco and used them. When that one broke I made my own... it doesn't fix the problem of the stretched out cable.
You've posted this before. Nice job! I already fixed the mounting point like I said before. It's a flimsy setup at best.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
You should of jst went to ford and gotten one from them or a junkyard. thse dorman door handles are garbage. I had the same issues once the second time it happened i think I got mine from a Junkyard in Great condition and have had it on for over a year and a half and has not broken yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts