Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this craftsman impact about 6 months ago. It was a gift to someone and was still new in the plastic. Worked great up until about 2 weeks ago. Now I get a big air leak from the exhaust port. Ive tried putting a bunch of air tool oil in the gun and running it upside down switching from forward to reverse a bunch of times. Still does it. Any more ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you prolly paid too much for it. :p

I have a cheap $70 earthquake from HF that I use at work, nearly 2 years old now and it is still pounding away.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Have you oiled the gun as the instructions tell you to? If the gun isn't oiled regularly the vains stick in the rotor so when it comes around the vain doesn't slide out to seal to the drum which allows all of the air to get by.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at those earthquakes. You really like it? I paid $65 i think for this impact. Claimed 710 ft lbs in reverse, but not if it ain't workin' right.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you oiled the gun as the instructions tell you to? If the gun isn't oiled regularly the vains stick in the rotor so when it comes around the vain doesn't slide out to seal to the drum which allows all of the air to get by.
Swamp
I oil it each and every time I use it. Is this something I can repair or is it a total loss?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I have the 1/2" flavor, and a 3/8" craftsman. I have had to reseal the head on the craftsman and the quake just keeps going. I oil them both depending on how much I use them. If I am going to use them alot they get a good dose of oil. but typically I am breaking 4 bolts or so a day depending on what I am doing so it might get oiled every couple uses.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I just might have to head on over there and use the 20% off!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I guess I'm a slacker, but I've never oiled my air tools and they all still work fine after 7-8 years. I've got a 3/8" craftsman, came with my compressor I bought in '01. I don't use any of my air tools often, but they all still work just fine when I need em. Maybe I'll oil them all now, haha.

Maybe you had bad luck with this one, or oiled it too much?

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I can say the HF Earthquake works great. I had a $350 IR impact and the HF special worked just as well as the IR did.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i bought a craftsman jack about a year ago, used it twice and started having problems with it, and when i was pulling it out from underneath my car one day i noticed a small sticker at the bottom of the jack it read "MADE IN CHINA" i will never buy craftsman again, if i want cheap chinese crap ill go to harbor freight and get it for cheap chinese prices.

didnt craftsman used to make a big deal about being made in the usa? i guess they dont anymore :banghead

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
i bought a craftsman jack about a year ago, used it twice and started having problems with it, and when i was pulling it out from underneath my car one day i noticed a small sticker at the bottom of the jack it read "MADE IN CHINA" i will never buy craftsman again, if i want cheap chinese crap ill go to harbor freight and get it for cheap chinese prices.

didnt craftsman used to make a big deal about being made in the usa? i guess they dont anymore :banghead
some stuff is outsourced in china, for example you can get the same jack under the craftsman name thats the same as the one sold at harbor freight and under the big red name. their rebranded stuff isnt made in the us but alot of their sockets and those tools still are. they carry sockets and wrenches with the big MADE IN USA stamps that i so wish i had. my craftsman air ratched just went south. i had it maxed out on torque, it wouldnt break the nut loose so i helt the lever and pulled on it like a regular ratchet. it still moves but the ratchet head just slips. its the single pawl type.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
my craftsman air ratched just went south. i had it maxed out on torque, it wouldnt break the nut loose so i helt the lever and pulled on it like a regular ratchet. it still moves but the ratchet head just slips. its the single pawl type.
I've been doing this to my cheap Campbell Hausfeld air ratchet for about 6 years and it's still taking it.
But I wouldn't recommend a cheap Campbell Hausfeld impact gun to the OP.I bought one and it wouldn't loosen a lug nut. :duh

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
You should be able to get a rebuild kit for the gun. If not, since your probably not making money with it then the HF earthquake would be a good choice. I started with an earthquake and then changed to an IR 2135 Ti pretty quick when the HF wouldn't do the job. When I was shopping around for 3/4" and 1" guns, I spoke to a guy who said that IR makes the craftsman guns. I would guess that if they did then they really change a lot between the two because the difference in feel and weight between my IR 3/4" and the Craftsman 3/4" is amazing. Anyways, HF and craftman are not a bad choice.

just make sure you drain the water from your compressor so you don't run moister through your tools and oil and grease them on a regular basis.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,976 Posts
My friends crapsman does the same thing. You should of picked up the cheaper IR sitting right next to the craftsman, if you bought if from a Sears. If you wanna drop some serious coin...get this one, its amazing ive had it for about 1.5 half years or so..and it keeps on hammering away.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=81261&group_ID=2798

just make sure you have enough air to make it work to its full potential.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
My friends crapsman does the same thing. You should of picked up the cheaper IR sitting right next to the craftsman, if you bought if from a Sears. If you wanna drop some serious coin...get this one, its amazing ive had it for about 1.5 half years or so..and it keeps on hammering away.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=81261&group_ID=2798

mine came with the compressor my mom got for my dad like 5-7 years ago.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts

I have got that same one. It is great. I was able to get a student discount and got it half off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts