Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into getting a cordless compact impact wrench or driver. Which do you guys use? My buddy has the snap on that is ridiculously powerful and expensive, so of course i want one too, however he's a mechanic so he can justify spending $350-$400 since he uses it religiously, i can't. I'm trying to keep it in the $150-$200 range. Ill be using it for basic bronco stuff and odds and ends at home. I was thinking i wanted the impact wrench but seems a lot of people have the driver. I'd like 150+ ft lbs (~1800 in lbs). I doubt i'll use it much for taking off lugs, but i want it to be able to if i needed it.

I'd also like it to be a brand i can stick with for other things, eventually i'd like a cordless grinder, saw, ...etc this way i can use the same batteries.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have years of experience with this. Go with a craftsman impact wrench. Get a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and a 3/8 to 1/4. If you need to use it as a river, use a 1/4" socket and put the attachment in that. A driver won't take lug nuts off.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome. exactly what i needed. trying to find some good black friday deals this week. i figured with the wrench i'd be able to adapt to do anything, which makes me wonder why so many have drivers?? anybody else?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm definitely leaning towards the craftsman, Sears has it black friday for $89. thanks you so much for putting up the pic, i was debating it until just now. i couldn't tell how compact it was on the websites but that pic gives a perfect comparison. The dewalt looked like the right size but its more expensive and less powerful, craftsman advertises this one at 200 ft lbs (~2600in lbs, and dewalt is only 1500 in lbs.), now this one looks about the same size as the dewalt.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I personally have the 19v craftsman 1/2" drive and I'm really happy with it I use it for any thing bigger then 1/2" or 12mm socket because it will snap shit off lol:doh0715:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Makita, Znex, Snapon, and a Bosch. Started with the Znex years ago. Good company when the reverse lever broke they shipped one to me free of charge next day air. The Bosch is no where near as strong. The Makita is nice and light and will do most stuff but I keep it at home. Haven't had any luck with Crapsman lately so I quit buying their stuff. My Snappys get beat on every day working on tour buses. Neither has let me down yet. The big 18v will take the lug nuts off a bus tire if I let it work. Takes two bateries to get all 10 lugs off but they are torqued to about 400 ftlbs.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I like the Craftsmen. The SnapOns are too bulky and heavy to me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use the snap on for bolts that like to be a pain. when you need grunt, go with the snap on. I love the small craftsman because its a great compromise between ability vs. price. craftsman air impacts, I cant stand em. IR for air impact. although old stanleys are pretty good too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The ones I've got are more then you want to spend. I've got a 28V 1/2" drive Milwaukee. I love it and use it a lot. It's worth every penny!:thumbup I've changed enough tires and tore down enough vehicles to more then make it worth what I paid for it.:toothless

I've also got the 18V older version of this one. I've had it for years and it's still going strong.

I've got a couple impact drivers too. They work good for driving screws and lag bolts into wood but are pretty worthless for working on cars/trucks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine sat in the back of my truck for 4 weeks, after using it it a little bit on my wheels, i never charged it, the other day i was trying to tighten a rusty ball onto a receiver, and man i did not think there was any chance it would tighten it, but sure enough it did. i am consistently impressed with the wrench. and i do'nt even have the lithium battery on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Only thing i really have to throw in since all I use is air tools(shop and service truck I use at work both have air) is that makita batteries are ridiculously Expensive. The guy I work with has a 3/8the impact and a replacement battery cost almost as much as the whole thing was new. I really like the snap-on ones and have demo'd them and the matco 18 volt infinium and the snap-on has a lot more torque but is rated a lot less. I just can't justify the 500 bucks for one when I have 4 air half inch guns lol a really old snap on my grandpa gave me, an mg725 snap on I picked up for 100 bucks, a cheap craftsman POS one that I lend out to shop help, and a MT1769 that's my go to gun. If I wasn't around air I'd Def vote for the snap on.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
We have air as well and I just sold my snap on 1/2" impact and bought the matco one. A lot lighter and just as powerful. The electric impacts are nice, and i use one most of the time while dismantling cars. I can do everything except the bolts holding the sub frame to the body.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Znex is one of the original brands and they work quite well. My very first cordless impact was a Znex. Still have it today but don't use it much. It sits in my garage just in case it's needed. I keep Snap on cordless stuff in my truck if needed. I have a Makita 18v impact that works well for what it is. Doesn't have the snapons power but it does what it can. Picked up a little Dewalt 12v just to help a commercial sales rep move it. Not a bad little impact for the price. 100 ftlbs will take most small stuff apart with ease.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am a big dewalt fan, with any cordless setup pick one brand and power type, 18v Ni-Ci in my case, stick with it, as it stands now, i have light impact (1330inch pounds) and a big impact (300foot pounds) 1 small drill/driver and 2 lights and the radio/charger(runs and or charges one battery) and 6 batteries.

Works great for in the pits at the dragstrip, always have a hot ready battery and have had damn good luck with the tools.

·
aka: boilermakerms007
426 Posts
We use Dewalt brand at the power plant where I work. They make a ton of other cordless tools with interchangeable batteries. The impacts are as good as you'll find cordless.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts