Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot of people have tailgates that open hard, need to adjust the handle, or already have adjusted the handle.

What they have been doing is un-bolting the latch mechanism from the center of the tailgate and lowering it for more pull force at the hinges.

BAD IDEA

I too did this a long time ago, but a month later it still opened hard. I had to really pull up on the handle to get the hinges to pop free.

so when I replaced my rusty Tailgate:
I found that my hinges were bent, each time I adjusted my handle it bent the hinges worse. I suspect lots of people have bent hinges, and don't even know.
Enough talk look at the pictures:

What I took out...

After I bent them back...

I'm thinking this is partly bad design. So I plan on having some small braces welded to the hinge to keep them from ever bending agian. Now you all know what I know, moving the center latch mechanism donw just makes things worse. :(

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fordman7795 said:
i got a new latch from a member here. anyone know the easiest way to change the latch? looks like the whole window and everything needs to come out.
I think you need to roll the window out, with the tailgate down. Suport the window, I've rolled mine all the way out and it held ok, but it's still a great risk.

Loosen the top window track bolt, and remove the bottom bolt. The track will now move with the window out. I'm not sure if it will move enough, but there is a good chance it will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.