Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, my wife and I are getting ready to drive from Alaska back to Kentucky on July 3rd. We'll be in our '93 Bronco XLT. It's factory stock, 106K and has the 302/5-speed with Traction-Loc and 3.55 gears. The clutch was put in this winter, teh brakes just checked and are fine (with new rear axle seals installed). We will have maybe 100-150 pounds in the rig along with my wife and 6month old son. Out back it has the factory steel bumper with trailer harness. I am planning on towing a converted 1980's Mitsubishi D50 2wd truck bed with a small fiberglass camper on it. I am keeping the weight of our items at no more than 400-500 pounds total plus the weight of the actual trailer.

My question is this: will my current bumper hold this combination? And is it a safe set-up or should I look into a receiver-style hitch? I know that the brakes are weak with the Bronco and made sure to have them in tip-top shape. I don't suspect we'll be travelling over 60mph at any point due to the small wheel base. Plus we'll be following my friends who are driving our '01 GMC with my wife's '85 Trans Am on a trailer out back.

Thanks for any help, folks. I want to make sure I've got things as safe as possible. We've made this trip before (in '07 with the GMC) and I am familiar with the roads and hills we will be driving through.

Thanks,

Lee

·
trying to go fast!!
1,083 Posts
ya man you should be good i tow a 7000 lbs 24ft center console boat with my bronco at 70 mph with pretty long distances and i use the factory bumper trailer hitch... i reciver frame mounted hitch is always better but with that low of weight you would be fine good luck!
Bobby

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
frame mounted hitch and weight distributing hitch at VERY least.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Id go with the frame mounted hitch as well. As long as you have a good trailer and distribute the weight on the trailer correctly you should have no problem towing. I hauled my 69 mustang for a 1000 miles with no problem @ 70-75mph. Just start off slow to get the feel of the trailer and to see if shes gonna fishtail any

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a small utility trailer 4x6 that could only haul 500 lbs. I would not haul that trailer on a bumper hitch. Get a frame mount receiver hitch to haul anything. It is not worth taking a chance with the lives of your family towing something like that on a bumper. I have seen a truck that was being flat towed on a bumper and it broke the plate on the bumper and the guy lost control, he spent afew weeks in the hospital. Lucky no one was with him.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
frame mounted hitch and weight distributing hitch at VERY least.
for real?

Hell what would you recommend for my 28ft enclosed non 5th trailer? weld it to make it a unibodied trailer for extra safety? I dont always hook up my load leveling hitch to that thing!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright everyone I appreciate your advice on this. I'll check adn see how much a frame mount is here...prices for ANYTHING are simply Godawful up here. I won't miss that hit on my paycheck whenever something needs to be fixed/replaced.:banghead If it was shorter trip and I was by myself I might consider going as-is. But it's not worth the risk. Bummer is that I don't plan on really using the Bronco for any towing once we get back to KY. That's why I got my GMC. The Bronco is just our recreational vehicle.

I'll give you an update once I get a price and have it installed.

Thanks again, folks. I sincerely appreciate your advice.:beer

Later,

Lee

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've towed 13,500 on a factory bumper hitch. recommended, NO, possible, YES.

Personally, for that distance I'd run a class III+ receiver hitch with sway control. A properly installed bumper hitch with correct loading is no different, but a receiver puts it at a lower, more balanced setting. both as strong, just a smoother tow.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
for real?

Hell what would you recommend for my 28ft enclosed non 5th trailer? weld it to make it a unibodied trailer for extra safety? I dont always hook up my load leveling hitch to that thing!!
haha i thought he was towing a mitsubishi truck. still would use frame mounted hitch

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha i thought he was towing a mitsubishi truck. still would use frame mounted hitch
Nope, not the entire truck...just the bed portion. I scored it for $150. It already had the tongue welded on and no rust (believe it or not). I wanted to go with something smallish and fairly light. I've got a light fiberglass camper top for it and we'll just have most of our clothes, my wife's craft stuff and my model stuff in totes put in it. I'll put up a pic or two of the set-up soon.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice. :thumbup

Later,

Lee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No...but I will before I die- looks like an awesome trip...
It's a terrific trip! We will be going through Jasper/Banff and the outskirts of Calgary in Nanton to see a friend and check out the Lancaster Museum. Just keep the camera handy and make sure to always stop for gas even if you don't think you need to. And make sure to buy a copy of the Milepost book for the trip. It will save you lots of heartache and time.

Later,

Lee

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Given how easily the factory bumpers twist and bend, and knowing the kinds of physics involved with stopping a moving load, I can't really recommend using the bumper on a Bronco for very much. It holds the license plate and lights quite nicely, though. :rofl:

I know the frame-mounted hitches are expensive, but they are well worth the cost when you consider what a bumper failure could cause. Like Hoxviii said: possible? Yes. Recommended? No.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Given how easily the factory bumpers twist and bend, and knowing the kinds of physics involved with stopping a moving load, I can't really recommend using the bumper on a Bronco for very much. It holds the license plate and lights quite nicely, though. :rofl:

I know the frame-mounted hitches are expensive, but they are well worth the cost when you consider what a bumper failure could cause. Like Hoxviii said: possible? Yes. Recommended? No.
I got a Draw-tite class III hitch from the JY for $25. six grade 8 bolts and nuts probably $10. Took me an hour and a half to drill the holes with a battery drill and half dead bit and mount it by myself.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I got a Draw-tite class III hitch from the JY for $25. six grade 8 bolts and nuts probably $10. Took me an hour and a half to drill the holes with a battery drill and half dead bit and mount it by myself.
Right on! Now thats what I call "goal oriented"... ibtl

·
trying to go fast!!
1,083 Posts
I've towed 13,500 on a factory bumper hitch. recommended, NO, possible, YES.

Personally, for that distance I'd run a class III+ receiver hitch with sway control. A properly installed bumper hitch with correct loading is no different, but a receiver puts it at a lower, more balanced setting. both as strong, just a smoother tow.
:thumbup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that trailer will pull fine on the factory but make sure you check the differential fluid on the trailer to make sure it doesn't lock up. enjoy the ride.
Good call! I'll check that out. :thumbup

Later,

Lee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts