Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..broke my left side step on a rock when I drove up a terrible trail to get into my position to be a HAM safety volunteer at a recent KOH qualifying race here in Reno. Well that step is back one tonight and here's some pics of the carnage and the EXCELLENT aluminum welding job done by a young fabricator near here. He just opened his shop and I know he'll be swamped with work because of the great job he does.

Here's the step after I got it off after it broke.

Here's the step after the great weld job and some wire brushing

I decided to paint it black with bed liner spray.

Here's the back showing the fine welding job. The bottom left was missing a big chunk and he filled it in nicely.

Here it is installed.:thumbup

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. :thumbup

But how are you going to keep it off the Nevada rocks?? Is the guy still going to make you some sliders?
Actually I didn't come down on a rock I sideswiped one sticking out of the side of the slope. There was a steep fall off on the right so I moved close to the slope on the left and didn't see the rock sticking out. Bam. Yes I am still going to have him make the sliders.:thumbup I think more important right now is new tires.:cry

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
Make sure that boy gets a six pack of his favorite brews, that work is pretty darn good.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Its time for KOH already?

I envy you for getting to be our there in the middle of it. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've been wanting a set of those steps for some time now, like the black color and great welding job......post a pic with them on the BKO....:doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its time for KOH already?

I envy you for getting to be our there in the middle of it. :thumbup
This race was called the Torchmate Ultra4 Stampede and it's a 64 mile lap and is the KOH qualifier here. I just sat on the side of the course and watched the rigs come around a couple of corners. Kind of funny that when the race started there was a buggy coming by about every 20 seconds. After a couple of hours, on the second lap there was about half the rigs coming by and by the end of the day there was only one. HAHAHAHAHAHA Carnage like you can't believe. Rigs busted up all over the course. I guess the recovery crews were busy all night pulling rigs off the mountains. I followed the course 9 miles going in and that's when I broke my step. Coming out after it was over the course was totally tore up and I broke a shock mount. They had gone through and graded the trail and pulled all of the rocks and boulders up out of the ground and over the course of the race the buggies just completely tore everything up.:toothless Someone remarked this course is way harder than the actual King of the Hammers.:toothless

That's why I am going to 35s when I get a new set of tires.:banghead

Here's a vid of one of the cars coming by....kind of funny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts