Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the stock 302 in my 90 FSB with a 351 out of a 90 fsb.
Mechanic has finally dug in and found that cam, distributor, water pump, are bad. Already replaced everything along with flywheel, torque converter, except the cam just found out this morning.

I need a cam, nothing fancy just a stock cam. Its my dd, will see some offroading, but gently.

I am looking online at summit, and a few others, but wondering if anybody knows a good place to get a stock cam at a good price:thumbup

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Try a mustang roller cam. There is also a thread on here to find a cam for efi trucks written by fireguy. That will tell you everything you need to know and what brand has wha, at what price.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
He can't use a roller cam & lifters without a conversion kit. An engine from a 1990 anything is going to NOT be an F4TE block, i.e. it won't be roller-ready. If he needs a factory replacement cam for the 5.8L, which really isn't too bad, then I'd suggest finding a factory replacement part number from an OEM. That means go to federal-mogul.com, check out their online catalog for cam & valvetrain parts under SpeedPro (I think), and you should be able to find a part number. If not, just go directly to RockAuto.com and they should have the number available. It's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer first, IMHO. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $120 for a cam & lifter set. Stay away from Summit's stuff if you need this to be reliable. They sell racing equipment, which usually means no guarantees, and no serious R&D to make sure it's going to last like the OE stuff has to.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stay away from Summit's stuff if you need this to be reliable. They sell racing equipment, which usually means no guarantees, and no serious R&D to make sure it's going to last like the OE stuff has to.
Thank You:thumbup Thats good advice. At this point, I am not in a position to upgrade. I do want a dependable daily driver, thats why I took it to a shop in the first place.

I read your writeup fireguy, a lot of good info. What I got out of it was that untill I am ready to upgrade my heads and exhaust, its pointless to upgrade my cam. I am not in a position to upgrade yet, business is slow till mid March.
I just want a DEPENDABLE dd. soon:beer

I had checked out summit. I will check out federal mogul, and rockauto to see what they have.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Lightnig guys are using Mustang HO cams in speed density with no probs.. go to www.nloc.net and search the Gen 1 boards.. and check their classified ads for a deal one one..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts