Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading various threads, especially trucky's great write-up on oil pan replacement, and since my gasket is squeezing out all around and leaking like crazy *and* the pan is rusted, I'll be doing that soon myself. I figured as long as I've got the engine up and the pan off, why not add a windage tray to my 5.0?

So, that's my question: Why not? Is it doable with the truck in the engine, while I'm changing the pan, gasket, and pump? Is it worth the bother? Will I have enough clearance to get the pan back on?

This is a stock `94 5.0, 87K miles, DD.

Suggestions on pan/pump/tray sources are welcome as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
since these are better at high rpm not sure if you need one, but it would not hurt to have one. if the oil pan is bad why not get a baffeled oil pan and larger cap 7-8 quart? the baffels would help on the rocks to get oil to the pickup.....mike

·
Registered
776 Posts
I thought about that, but I wouldnt have been able to change my pan like I did and I didnt feel like paying the extra for more oil, I use synthetic and thats even more $$$$.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reading more, I think I've decided to forego the windage tray. Changing out main cap bolts while the engine is hanging from a hoist (or sitting on some wood shims) doesn't sound too fun.

So, suggestions on where to get a good stock replacement oil pan and HV oil pump? Brand suggestions? Trucky18, did that coating work for you on the pan?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
776 Posts
so far its workin like a champ. I got the pan from advance auto, fit like a glove. As far as the pump, meling had the one I wanted, from Jegs for 48 bucks, less than the ford one. I guess its mostly what you want/do. Mine is a daily driver with only 63,000 on it. I just wanted a high flow cause i figured more oil is better. I dont notice much of a differance in driving it, but based on its size im gonna assume it is working. I hope yours goes as well as mine has. (unlike my rear main project, *sigh)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts