Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick update from my last post- got the redhead steering gear in and also replaced all the tie rods and hoses. I can now steer it and a major improvement from the last box.
For some reason I'm having a hard time starting it back up after driving for a while. Not all the time, but once its really warmed up and shortly after I try to start it, it will either not start at all or have a very rough idle and be very shaky. I usually will have to wait to start it back up again. Also, I'm not getting the power I should have; sometimes when I go on the gas the rpm will stay low and be unresponsive, or from a stop the engine will almost rev but the car itself wont actually accelerate. I end up almost having to pump the gas pedal because sometimes it is more responsive than other times.
It is hard to describe exactly what is going on because it does not constantly happen. I hope this makes some sense

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,798 Posts
Check your fuel filter first, your engine may be starved for fuel.
Next check your vacuum system to make sure you don't have any leaks. The symptoms you describe sound a lot like vacuum issues.

Read this thread, most importantly post number 11. There is a very good write up on diagnosing the vacuum system.

Reactions: ChromaticV8

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
pull codes.
I'm thinking ignition control module is malfunctioning when it gets hot.
You can pull it and have it tested at a parts store. If you do, have them test it a few times so that it has the opportunity to get hot.

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pull codes.
I'm thinking ignition control module is malfunctioning when it gets hot.
You can pull it and have it tested at a parts store. If you do, have them test it a few times so that it has the opportunity to get hot.
Should an OBD1 scanner still be able to pull codes with no check engine light on? The check engine light only comes on briefly every now and then and I haven't been able to catch it. When I plug the scanner in with engine running normally it shows the triangle to show it is connected but never gives me any codes. When I try KOEO there is nothing to show me that it has connected at all.
Can I easily replace the module if it is bad?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,778 Posts
Yes, it will pull the KAM codes. KAM codes won't leave the CEL on but will be stored in memory. At a minimum, KOEO, you should be getting 111 if there aren't any codes..You might have a bad ground on the self-test input. Check the wiring.

If it does turn out to be the ICM/TFI they are very easy to replace, but first you need to get some codes before throwing parts at it..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,778 Posts
I think I do have a bad ground so I used a wire on the battery.
For codes I got 172 with engine off
And 312, 313 and 538 engine on
Now we have some codes to work with..that's good..

172 - (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control , this could indicate a bad O2 sensor

These two mean your air injection system isn't properly operating.
312 - (R) AIR not diverting - Air Injection
313 - R) AIR not bypassing - Air Injection

538 - (R) System did not receive "goose" test - TESTS - For this one, you didn't blip the throttle enough for it to register during the test.

I'd start with replacing that 02 sensor and see what happens.

Reactions: ChromaticV8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts