Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've pretty much established that my ABS pump motor is bad, having gone through the entire Ford service procedure to diagnose the problem, and just plain sticking a DVOM across the motor terminals. Code 63 was pulled from the ABS ECU, all the grounds, relays, wiring, and connectors were checked as well. The REAL problem is that I'm a po' azz student, and I'm in no position to fork over $500 for a new one; at the same time, I'm a stickler for having a fully-functional vehicle, not to mention a safe one.

My question is pertaining to the ABS electric motor itself. Every Ford publication I can find says that the motor and hydraulic controller must be replaced as an assembly, which I find to be completely :banghead . There appear to be some tabs holding the motor's casing onto the pump body, and they look fairly easy to bend out of the way. Dare I do it, and possibly save tons of $$$, or am I opening Pandora's box here? My theory is that due to its inferior design, water entered the casing and corroded the connections (this Bronc sat for a while). BTW, there is infinite resistance (open) across the motor's terminals.

If I didn't make it clear, it's a '93 w/ 5.8L, factory EVERYTHING. The truck only has 109k on it, and only a couple of small rust spots. Only down side is that it sat still for a while; almost everything else works great. I love this truck!

·
Banned
19,372 Posts
No, you can't fix the motor. Shop the junkyards. I have a complete 4WABS MC, booster, HCU, & lines (still assembled) that I'm planning on putting in my truck someday, so they're out there if you look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you can wait until the summer im getting rid of the entire assembly and replumbing the entire system i got rid of the abs with the axle swap so if you want it cheap let me know

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys.

voelker, I just might be able to wait until summer. Just depends on how impatient I get. Hehehe. No, seriously, I appreciate the offer and if I still need it by then, you will get a PM from me.

On the other hand, I have an itch to scratch. I just HAVE to get that black casing off the motor to see how she looks at least! Damn fan shroud and p/s line are getting in the way at the moment. I'll keep this updated if I make any significant findings; maybe I'll take some pictures.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
On my taurus I just changed the CPU, and it said that the entire system should only be serviced by a qualified technition.... All it was was 6 screws and 2 connectors... Mine was 500 bucks at Ford, and I called every junkyard in my state, and 2 in Mass as well but they didnt have any 01 Taurus's with Traction control and ABS so I had to choke up 500 bones.

Can you buy just the CPU???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts