Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Does anyone know how much current is applied on the center tab pink wire of the inertia switch? I've installed a kill switch rated at 6 amps constant duty, but I'm concerned about the current draw exceeding the capability of the switch.

I know I can just install a 25 amp rated switch, but I like the small compact size of the 6 amp mini toggle that is easy to conceal. Anyone?:whiteflag

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
The fuel pump circuit is fused with a 20 amp. fuse. The current in a series circuit is the same at every point in the circuit.
You should use a switch rated at at least the maximum current the circuit was designed to handle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Current doesn't get applied; voltage does, and it's system voltage (whatever the alternator is putting out). Current gets drawn by whatever is on the circuit - in this case, the fuel pump (which draws an Amp or 2) & the EEC (which draws nearly none).

But the inertia switch IS a "kill switch", so there's no point adding one there.
I should have been more clear. I want it there to interrupt the power to the fuel pump as a theft deterrent when parked. I just wanted to know the current demand the fuel pump draws, and it appears to be about 2 amps?

I've already done this, I just wanted to make sure the spst toggle switch rated at 6 amps duty is sufficient for the draw off that specific wire to the fuel pump. So far it seems to work well when running and doesn't get warm or anything abnormal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts