Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere I can see writen differences between the years of the Bronco's? I am looking at Bronco's between the 1987 -1996. Is there any diffences in drivetrain between the years?I know 5.0L/5.8L had roller cams at certian years.The 94 up 5.8L were roller cammed engines.AOD's in certian years and E4OD's after the other years. Interior changes?

Any help will be appreciated.

Shane

·
Registered
577 Posts
Best bet would probably be the "Post a Pic of your Bronco" sticky at the top of the page. That way you can see each Bronco and then check out each persons profile. They are pretty much the same truck throughout those years though.

All in those years will have the Ford 8.8 rear end and the Dana 44 IFS front end. 90% of which will be 3.55 in back and 3.54 in the front.
Engines will be the 4.9 I6, 302 V8, or 351 V8. 93 was the last year of the 4.9 in Broncos IIRC. All 302 should be FI in those years. I think the 351 went FI in 88, not 100% positive on that though. Not to sure about the 4.9 though.

Transmissions will be either the C6, AOD, or E4OD for automatics. I think most 92-96 have the E4OD. You usually only saw the C6 behind the 351 from 87-89. I'm not too sure about manual trannys, I think most are the M5OD.

Basically just cruise the sight, all of this info is on here somewhere. Check out Adrianspeeder's trannmission sticky at the top as well.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Memphis covered it. That same thing can be found in the front of LMC catalogs.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I dont have alot to mention except body style changes. One thing I didnt see listed was in 96 was the only year MAF was put on Bronco's. That came stock that is. Otherwise it's an aftermarket setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, 96 was also when OBD-II was put into the Bronco's.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I dont have alot to mention except body style changes. One thing I didnt see listed was in 96 was the only year MAF was put on Bronco's. That came stock that is. Otherwise it's an aftermarket setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, 96 was also when OBD-II was put into the Bronco's.

Most 94-95 Cali trucks were MAF, and I think in 95 all the 351's were MAF, and by 96 everything was MAF/OBDII.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it say's that in 1990 the electronic AOD was introduced.Is that the E4OD?

I am looking at 4 Bronco's. A 89 5.8L, 90 5.0L,92 5.0L and a 94 5.8L. I just wanted to know the difference in the years so I know what is better. I like the looks of the 92 up front clip but that can be swapped onto a 87-91 if I really want to do the work.

And thanks for the info guys.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
So it say's that in 1990 the electronic AOD was introduced.Is that the E4OD?

I am looking at 4 Bronco's. A 89 5.8L, 90 5.0L,92 5.0L and a 94 5.8L. I just wanted to know the difference in the years so I know what is better. I like the looks of the 92 up front clip but that can be swapped onto a 87-91 if I really want to do the work.

And thanks for the info guys.

The e4od is based off the c6. It is considered a heavy duty transmission. The aod is considered a light duty transmission and can be found behind late 85-90 efi 302s.

The 89 5.8 will have the c6, so no overdrive. If you do alot of 45+ driving, I would pass. The c6 is a very strong transmisison, non electronically controlled too. That means to rebuild it its only going to be $400-500. If you were getting the truck as a "toy" I would get this because the truck will be cheap to fix and strong enough to beat on.

the 90 5.0 will have the AOD transmission, its about $1000-1500 to rebuild, I wouldn't get it if I was going to get into some tough wheeling situations. THe e4od IMO, shifts alot better than the AOD.

the 92 5.0 will have the e4od, its a strong transmission, but computer controlled, and about $1800-2200 to rebuild. Its based off the c6, so its pretty strong transmisison. It has overdrive. the e4od got updates that made it stronger in 1994.

94 5.8, e4od transmission, most likely has the updates for the 94+ e4ods.

Get a bronco with the tow package..it includes..
Trailer wiring harness, HD turn sig flasher, rear stab. bar (that will be a dead giveaway), quad front and HD rear shocks, HD battery, and super engine cooling (this is also a dead giveaway since this should include a larger capacity radiator, front mount tranny cooler and engine oil cooler.) Limited slip 3.55 rear axle. both 302 and 351 came with 4k bumpers standard (limited class III tow if I recall correctly), which is why they did not automatically come with bolt on hitches. 351 was max. tow of 7k, 302 was 6600, unless manual (could not get a manual 5.8), which was only 3k. GCWR 12k for 351, 11,500 for 302 auto, and a measly 7,800 for manual. 3.55 gearing axle ratio. guess the manual in these later years were not real heavy duty. I think the oil cooler became part of the tow package in 1994.

The radiator came with it will be a 2 core. The transmission cooler will be 11x7x1.5 wide

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well see, you never stop learning, I just learned something new haha.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this vehical is just going to be a driver.I need a second vehical and I like the Bronco.It will be 90% freeway 10% city.The 92 had the trans rebuilt already.I don't know if it was updated to 94 spec. The 94 is all stock as is the 90. The 89 I will just leave alone.I need the OD gear.

Oh I should say that all I will do to the truck is a body lift (3") and bigger tires (33"). But for now it is just stock and I will do all the fluid flushes that will be needed if it needs done or not.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Don't do a body lift, they're gay when done alone, and weak.

Get a cheap 4" suspension lift. Or a leveling kit. 33's fit stock anyway.

Get any 92+, as it will have the E4OD. A 94+ or rebuilt to spec E4OD is more desirable.

·
Registered
904 Posts
if its just going to be a daily driver and not a seriously intense offroad vehicle, dont worry about the body lift. Honestly, if you brake a body lift driving down the street then you are dead anyways, these tings dont just fall apart.

On the other hand, if you can do the installation yourself then yes, you probably should go with a small suspension lift or a leveling kit.

Point being, there is a huge bias against body lifts on this site that they really dont deserve, not everyone needs a bulletproof offroad vehicle.

On a side note, if you are only going to use it as a DD, why not get something that gets mileage above the low teens?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife likes the Bronco and so do I. I am only 15 min from work on the freeway.Plus it is good for hauling the dogs and.Cheap for parts because I am a Technician for Ford in Canada.

I may fart with the vehical when I get one. Like swap the 302 truck intake for a Mustang intake.Swap the speed density to mass air unless it is a E4OD that I buy.Swap to a Electric cooling fan, Lift/tires...make it look nice.

·
Registered
904 Posts
dont swap the truck intake for a mustang intake, bad idea.

Dont bother with a MAF swap either UNLESS you plan to modify your engine pretty heavily, believe it or not, SD actually provides better throttle response.

other than that, sounds good man.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have seen a few Bronco's with just body a body lift and 33" in the pic section.I know a suspension lift is better in the long run,but I have not planned to go off roading with the truck at all.I did it once in my F-150 that I used to have and I did alot of dammage to the paint.I ended up having to repaint the truck. I was thinking a 4" lift with 33"tires or a 3" body lift with 33" tires. Like I said,street truck that is a daily driver.I have my eye on a 94 XLT fully loaded with a 5.8L, E4OD, shift on the fly, tow package.It needs nothing except the top of the rear wheel wells are starting to rust. I am guessing that you can get repair patches for these?Or maybe I will just cut the area out and put on fender flares........LOL

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The 302 truck intake is a perfect intake, leave it alone.

A 351 however, WILL benefit from an intake swap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard from another site that the 5.8L intake is better suited for the 5.0L.I know it does not fit but we were chatting with a guy who put an 5.8L upper intake on his 5.0L lower on his truck and his fuel milage got better.The discussion turned into that the 5.oL intake ports size was to large, and if the 5.8L runner (oval design with smaller diameter) was casted as the 5.0L truck intake,it would be better suited to the 5.0L engine. They figured that the large square ports were killing the 5.0L engine.If you looked at the 90 mustang horsepower/torque number and compared them to the 90 5.0L truck horsepower/torque numbers that the mustang had better numbers and this is supposedly due to intake design.I figured it was camshaft but I don't know.

Check it out here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/689199-easy-cheap-hp-and-mpg-upgrade.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts