Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to want to inject my 429. Since I know I can't do this w/o changing the intake and heads. I won't do that, so my thought is, to get a carb intake with the injector bosses cast into the runners, then adapt the throttle body to that. This would work, right? What's the lb rating for the stock injectors? Where can I find out what size injectors I'd need, when I post and polish the heads, and raise the compression. I'm guessing a stock '88 computer won't like the engine after all that, so how much would I be looking at for a custom computer? Or, would I even need one?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Intake

Complete Spyder intake $750

Just the elbow for mounting throttle body to carb intake $140-225

Computer
You'd need a 1989-93 Mustang computer and a TwEECer $500-$750

Harness
Might know sombody that can handle that ;) $200-$600

Injectors
I'd sugest 30lb/hr injectors which can go to 490hp
You don't want to go too big

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I should have stressed this - I'm a cheap mofo... hence me wanting to use stock 460 parts - used, at that. Don't get me wrong tho, those parts sure are nice, and I could certainly go aftermarket on this, but I raelly can't justify that, when I believe stock 460 parts should work. But I'm guessing that it could be done fairly easily?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
easy yes, cheap no. there is no way to inject a 429 with junkyard parts. you could build some custom intake stuff cheap.

But there is no computer that will work in any junk yard.
Sorry :shrug

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
he could swap heads, intake, dizzy, ect from a junked 460.

But the computer will run the engine extremly Rich being 31cubes smaller. The only way to make it run good enough for it to be worth fuel injection is the Mustang comptuer and chip. Which is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sorry :shrug

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Intake

Complete Spyder intake $750

Just the elbow for mounting throttle body to carb intake $140-225

Computer
You'd need a 1989-93 Mustang computer and a TwEECer $500-$750

Harness
Might know sombody that can handle that ;) $200-$600

Injectors
I'd sugest 30lb/hr injectors which can go to 490hp
You don't want to go too big
that's a pretty big shoppin cart but dam that intake looks bitchen:thumbup

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fireguy50 said:
he could swap heads, intake from a junked 460.
This is what I don't want to do. I intend to keep my D0VE heads. I can certainly bore and stroke the engine, which may happen, as well as a stronger cam and headers.

It's becoming clear that I may not be able to use junkyard parts after all :brownbag But why the hell does aftermarket efi parts have to be so damn expensive?!

This is the intake I was thinking about -
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2965
Or, to weld in bungs to the intake runners, for whichever intake becomes the best one to use

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
You can keep the heads and make an intake, but you'll still need someting like this elbow for mounting throttle body to carb intake
$140-225

and you will have to use the 1989-93 Mustang computer and a TwEECer $500-$750
Unless you can stroke it to 460

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't use a stock 460 throttle body, with a custom adadpter plate? I seem to remember Dixie Pirate (IIRC) buliding a 514 EFI, with 75lb/hr injectors and a stock 460 throttle body... I can't remember

Will the mustang computer be able to handle 5-600HP? Or, are we talking about diggin a little deeper in the pockets?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
davids78bronco said:
I can't use a stock 460 throttle body, with a custom adadpter plate? I seem to remember Dixie Pirate (IIRC) buliding a 514 EFI, with 75lb/hr injectors and a stock 460 throttle body... I can't remember
You can do what ever you want to fit a throttle body on it. Personally the truck throttle body is a restrics flow. So for $140, that elbow seems like a good deal to me. Why re-invent the wheel :shrug Stock Truck TB is smaller than a 65mm mustang TB. Both WAY too small for a big block
Not sure why he has 75lb/hr injectors, it will fry the EEC. plus they way too big :twak

davids78bronco said:
Will the mustang computer be able to handle 5-600HP? Or, are we talking about diggin a little deeper in the pockets?
The stock computer can be programed to do anything with a TwEECer. The only limiting factory is the electrical draw of larger injectors. 50's are the bigest it can take in stock form. 50's can go to about 850HP, untill you need to get a new injector relay pack, also called an injector driver. Is 850 high enough, LOL
Buy'n big injectors can be foolish if you don't need them.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
SquattyD said:
what about a holley efi system? the direct port models are pretty pricey, but the pseudo carb/throttle body ones are pretty cheap, esp on eBay. Cheap being relative to the above mentioned to prices.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/C950/C950TB/f950-21S.html

things like that I have seen go for about $700 on ebay. but its complete, and you can keep your heads/intake/etc.
Most of the aftermarket EFI systems are simple electric carbs. All of which are not very flexable. They'll run rich up in the mountians, not adjust over time with an ageing engine, and don't have very good diasnostic features.
The Ford EFI computers run circles around the aftermarket systems when you can program it for your aplication.
Only time an aftermarket system is better, is when you only driver the vehicle once a month at the drag strip. Then you can adjust the EFI to that track and need to do it quickly.

Ford spent billions of dollars on their EFI system
The aftermarket has spent under a million on theirs.
Guess who's is better :thumbup
Plus Ford stuff can be found in junkyards / eBay

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could be copletely wrong about the injector size he's using, that just stuck in my head, for some reason. If I go looking for a Mustang computer in a JY, how can I know if I've found a twEEcer? Or is that part of the mustang's computer?? I'm guessing this is some specialty piece I'll have to buy, isn't it?

Time to write up a parts/price list...

·
Registered
196 Posts
downsize the injectors and run the 460efi setup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
LOL, MJ, you like that quote huh? i swear some of the idiots at the parts stores couldnt pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written in the heel. its amazing. i like to ask for a part and they ask what i am driving. i say 79 ford bronco. they start looking it up. they cant find it. i say well its not from a 79 ford bronco. its for a 83 thunderbird or E350 van or 68 continental... then they learn to ask better questions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
:)

I am adding that one as well:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts