Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know or run a inline header. I have a 89 with a 4.9L. I am looking for a header for it. But don't want to spend 400 bucks

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
From what I hear and through my own research, I've heard nothing but "pain in the butt" stories about headers on the I6. They leak, crack, come loose, get in the way, you name it. Also, unless you really mod it out, supposedly there isn't much of a gain to be had by going to them. I was kinda disappointed when I heard that time and time again when I was thinking of doing headers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I plan to use the exhaust manifolds off of an EFI engine...they are supposed to flow as well as a header and are tons cheaper. Ebay sells them for 20 bucks each (two-front & rear are required). Buy them there and you don't even have to get greasy at the junkyard! :beer

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I AM PLANNING ON DOING A 30 OVER, SHAVED HEAD, HEAVY CAMED PORT AND POLISHED AND GASKET MATCHED 6. I HAVE ANOTHER ONE THAT I AM REBUILDING WHILE I DRIVE MINE. I CAN BUY A MASTER REBUILD KIT WITH PISTONS(CHOICE OF BORE), CHOICE OF CAM, ALL BERINGS AND GASKETS, DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN, AND EVERYTHING ELSE, OFF EBAY FOR $350 ISH. THAT IS A GOOD DEAL. SO THAT IS WHY I WANTED TO RUN A HEADER.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
whew, caps lock.

Craigslist? Used somewhere, Ebay.

I dont think its a hugely demanded part, so it will probably be expensive. Are you sure the gains are truely worth it, those EFI manifolds sound like the way to go,.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry about the caps. My job requires me to have it on all the time. so I don't even think about it. As far as the gains go I am not sure if it is worth it. I have 2 sets of the stock efi mani's. I am running a efi 6 now and am building a efi 6 to put back in there when mine dies. I have a valve going out I think.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ok, see if anyone has numbers for gains, it may not be worth the price of admission.

I get ya about caps, i get the same thing, but usually catch it, its just harder to read in all caps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you looked at the forums over at www.fordsix.com? They have tons of information on the 6. That's where I got the information on the EFI manifolds flowing as well as a header....good luck! :thumbup

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Have you looked at the forums over at www.fordsix.com? They have tons of information on the 6. That's where I got the information on the EFI manifolds flowing as well as a header....good luck! :thumbup
What he said. Fordsix.com is a must.

FYI--I'm running a heavily modified 300 w/headers, next time my header gaskets blow--I'm doing a swap to EFI manifolds. Save yourself the headache and money--go with EFI manifolds the first time around.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on this for my 300. Most of it was gleaned from the fordsix.com site. I learned that the 'shortie' style of header is about the same as the EFI exhaust. If you do a build with all of the 'fixins' and use the 'Long' style of header you can pick up some gains in torque as well as power.

There is a fellow on the fordsix site that does lots of various runs using Desktop Dyno and he has a thread called Figures there that is pretty nice.
http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42347 Copy that link and maybe you can go straight to the thread.

The build I did is estimated at 207hp/300tq if I remember correctly. It starts costing serious money after you break the 200 hp mark.

Personally I was glad to lose the headers (previously v8) and have a cleaner engine compartment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts