Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 dana 44 in my '87 bronco and the inner axle seal on the passenger side went bad so i bought 2 new seals. i pulled the brakes and spindles and got the axle shafts out then pulled the carrier and got the old seals out by sliding the axle shafts into them to knock them out. i was trying to install the new seals and they wont go in. i pulled the o-ring type things on both sides, it looks like rtv? and the seals still wont go in. i turned the old seal around and used it to tap the new seals in like you do with wheel bearing races and it wont go in. do i need one of these guys, http://quad4x4.com/Front Axle Shaft Seal Tools.htm? or is the way i'm trying to do it ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
An extra helping if you have someone available is prefered. I normally use a long rod, smaller diameter than the seal, stick in the axle tube and line it up with a driver. Line up the rod, seal, and driver and have someone hit the end of the rod with the hammer. That has been my prefered method. Oh and watch out for your fingers. Don't ask me why, but it does hurt. LOL

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Instead of buying that tool you can make one.

If you have someone to help you a long tube is all it takes.

Here is a picture of a homemade tool.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
They can be annoying to get in, obviously. I've used large 3/4 drive sockets that just fit inside the outer lip of seal in the past. Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure you have the right seal. How far off in OD is the seal from the ID in axle?? Maybe a bad run of seals made too big?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They can be annoying to get in, obviously. I've used large 3/4 drive sockets that just fit inside the outer lip of seal in the past. Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure you have the right seal. How far off in OD is the seal from the ID in axle?? Maybe a bad run of seals made too big?
thats kinda what i was thinking. i'll measure that later today.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A phone call to Complete Offroad would clear that up.

·
oscar espinoza
1,538 Posts
Be carefull I damagedabout 3 seals before I got it right

1 - 7 of 7 Posts