Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
If you are worried about MPG's, sell your truck and get a prius.....

Besides that, I'm not even sure if OBD 1 vehicles are that down right tuneable in that sense.... theirs not as much as you can control with OBDI that you can with OBD II

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
go for it, relay to swithc some injectors over to dummy ones and your set.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If you are worried about MPG's, sell your truck and get a prius.....
Congratulations on a very idiotic statement.

Aside from if this theory will work or not, if there is an improvment to be had in the bad gas milage a Bronco gets, why would you not take it?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It'd run so shitty and cock-eyed, you'd NEVER be able to drive it. Several people have tried to do this, even in the programming, and it still results in a misfiring or hard-running engine. Not to mention the excess air added to the exhaust stream f*ckin' up the HO2S reading, so you'd never be able to run in closed loop.

The reason newer engines can do it is because they have a system, similar to Honda's VTEC, that allows the PCM to control oil solenoids, allowing certain lifters to collapse and deactivate individual cylinders. When deactivated, these cylinders' valves remain closed, so no excess air is pumped into the exhaust, and of course the cylinders' fuel injectors are shut off.

These trucks will never get "good" fuel economy using internal combustion engines. Deal with it.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts

Aside from if this theory will work or not, if there is an improvment to be had in the bad gas milage a Bronco gets, why would you not take it?
also buying another prus is filling the world with more shit and giving in to global oil companies. DO IT DDAMMIT!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
You know, the Bronco might make an excellent experimental vehicle for electric drives. There's plenty of space for batteries, electric motors make more torque, and their torque is MAXIMUM at ZERO SPEED! Plus if you do it right, it will go under water, upside down, etc., without a hiccup.

What more could you want for an off-road vehicle, especially a rock-crawler or bogging truck?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
You know, the Bronco might make an excellent experimental vehicle for electric drives. There's plenty of space for batteries, electric motors make more torque, and their torque is MAXIMUM at ZERO SPEED! Plus if you do it right, it will go under water, upside down, etc., without a hiccup.

What more could you want for an off-road vehicle, especially a rock-crawler or bogging truck?
dont remind me, you think i wouldnt do that if i had the down time and money?

better MPG's :rofl:
^correct:rofl:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Ultimate solution: cut a hole in the floor, use your feet like Fred Flintstone. :thumbup

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Ultimate solution: cut a hole in the floor, use your feet like Fred Flintstone. :thumbup
**** that, even on flat ground its nearly impossible ot move that thing

·
Registered
670 Posts
deffinately wouldnt work, because as mentioned the vehicles that do have this technology have collapsible lifters, and if it would work without having them you would have spark but no fuel in the de-activated cylinders, and that isnt a good thing.

plus you would be getting resistance from the de-activated cylinders compressing air, so really if you did find a way to make it work without harming the engine i highly doubt you would get any better mpg.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts

Whats wrong with doing all the tried and true hard core power/mpg mods that everyone on this forum loves. exhaust and 6L tuneup. Instead of cobbling up a half ass back yard cylinder deactivation setup.

These trucks will never get "good" fuel economy using internal combustion engines. Deal with it.

Like sig said, its a 5000lbs truck with a 40 year old engine, its not going to get 30mpg, dont like it, get rid of it or do a diesel swap..... I get 14.1mpg in my truck with no mods, I'm content with that....

·
Registered
670 Posts
I get 14.1mpg in my truck with no mods, I'm content with that....
14mpg? and you are talking about your 351 bronco right? most of the people ive talked to say the 351 broncos only get like 9mpg and the 302's get 13 if your lucky, maybe those guys just flog the crap out of their trucks. i wasnt sure about mpg, i had a 302 bronco when i was in high school but it had alot of issues and hacked up wiring, not too mention in high school mpg was the last thing on my mind lol

i considered getting something smaller because my freind sais his 4.0 cherokee gets 18 mpg, but i need something i can tow my car with so im still looking for another bronco anyways, but if the mpg isnt that much different i guess there really wouldnt be any reason to get a smaller truck or suv to begin with.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Its funny to see the numerous threads about bad mileage.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
14mpg? and you are talking about your 351 bronco right? most of the people ive talked to say the 351 broncos only get like 9mpg and the 302's get 13 if your lucky, maybe those guys just flog the crap out of their trucks. i wasnt sure about mpg, i had a 302 bronco when i was in high school but it had alot of issues and hacked up wiring, not too mention in high school mpg was the last thing on my mind lol

i considered getting something smaller because my freind sais his 4.0 cherokee gets 18 mpg, but i need something i can tow my car with so im still looking for another bronco anyways, but if the mpg isnt that much different i guess there really wouldnt be any reason to get a smaller truck or suv to begin with.
yep, most of those guys are hard on the throttle. my 302 gets 15 mpg mixed turning 32" M/Ts. it still has a clogged egr, possible clogged cat, worn out coil and its missing the air dam under the front bumper. oh yeah, the rear suspension bushings are shot and it needs an alignment.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
My 351w was getting 14mpg on the road with sensible driving and a 3spd auto. The 302 would do closer to 18 with o/d both were running 32" tires. As for shutting down a cylinder you would need to turn the spark off also. You might be able to shut the fuel off to the injector on say a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI but they are so slow normally you would need to run more throttle just to keep up with traffic witch would put you back to using more fuel on the running cylinders probably.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
I have the perfect fuel saving solution--"Mexican Overdrive." :histerica :haha

That's where you shift into neutral and turn off the engine.:doh0715:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts