Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats the best name i could come up with it, what it does is stops the hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. I dont know if this happens in other trucks but in mine the hot heater core would cause convection inside my truck letting hot air to flow around inside, not very satisfying during summer or if the A/C is on.

the basic hardparts are:
-the valve out of a jeep, almost any jeep has one
note:these "valves" come in different orientations to where the bottom hose connector points so watch out
-four hose clamps size at least 1 1/4"
- about 15" of vacuum hose and a T or Y connector and two vacuum connectors

Its a simple install
- make sure you dont have coolant in your heater core lines
- fine a good spot for the bypass (valve) and cut the line for the bottom inlet out of the heater core
- the top line from the heater core should be about 1'' shorter for the valve to stand up right
- cut the other half of the coolant lines to length
- now cut the vacuum line going to the inside air/ outside air actuator and make a 3 way connection to include the new valve

here is that little neat "valve"

the tools i used

test fitting the hoses for length

the vacuum splice

and here it is done

thats it nice and simple it "bypasses" the heater core when you turn the outside air off, as it says on the control panel for A/C use:thumbup

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Seems like it would extend the life of the heater core as well. Interesting.

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
they come on Exploders and Rangers too

Installed one on my '95 F150.... worked good, that fugger had ICE COLD A/c. Used to get condensation running down the windows in the summer.

·
Premium Member
9,986 Posts
Great write up Brother with excellent information added, definately something to think about...:thumbup

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Fords used to have the cut off valve as well, my 67 would kill the flow to the heater core when the knob was pushed to "off". been seriously considering doing this for that last little bit of AC efficiency. Even without one i have 35* vents on my 134a conversion, curious how deep this could send me :D

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Fords used to have the cut off valve as well, my 67 would kill the flow to the heater core when the knob was pushed to "off". been seriously considering doing this for that last little bit of AC efficiency. Even without one i have 35* vents on my 134a conversion, curious how deep this could send me :D
im considering it cause then i can drive with the windows up and just the vents without using ac. more FE anyone?:thumbup

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have been wanting to do this one for a while. But right before I started to install this I realized something. If I installed this as above, I would not be able to recirculate the air in the truck if my outside air was set on max (the recirc air setting). The same benefit you get for the A/C is a detriment when trying to use the heater. So I almost came up with an improvement on a great idea. Either

1) Find an electric operated control valve and wire it into the A/C switch (but I could not find such a part) or

2) Add a vacuum solenoid to the system, plumb the vacuum hose into the engine vacuum directly, and wire the relay into the A/C switch (but I have not found a cheap solenoid yet).

Either way, the heater core would only be bypassed when the A/C is on.

I was thinking of something like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...noid/_/N-9ixxi?counter=0&itemIdentifier=45390 for option 2, byt they do not make any more apparently.

So to the "Parts Gurus" out there, have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Figured I'd stop in and say thanks for the write-up. Since I was already replacing the heater core, I added the valve from Ewgoetz's link. 18 bucks, a couple hose clamps, and some leftover vacuum line stuff I had in the toolbox, and it's done. I just wish it had been there when the heater core went out and I could have taken it out of the loop.

Anyway, here's the spot I found for it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Going with a cable operated one, as I have no A/C, but being a stick shift truck I tend to rpm the engine way more then a auto trans.

The first mod on any mustag this should be....................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts