Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a B&M Transmission as a gift for my husband and long story short... They told me it was 4wd and compatible and it came as a 2wd... They told me too bad so sad for their mistake... So I spent another $700 on it to be made into 4wd at a shop. My husband insisted on installing it (with no transmission experience)...

So today he finally gets everything all in and together and start it and it makes a horrible grinding noise. He turned off the engine immediately... But I am over here about to vomit at the amount of money I invested in this transmission for him.. Also the engine is brand new too =( Any idea what could cause this and should I just consider it all garbage? I am so mad and stressed ugh. I wanted to spend the $350 to have the shop install it, but nope.. Now this!!

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I just ruined my transmission when I installed my new engine. 1500 dollar rebuild/upgrade later, it's working.

However, I have installed multiple engines and transmission prior to this with no problems...I guess I was in a rush and just made a mistake.

Just remember, college classes cost a lot of money for the knowledge you gain, and nobody questions that expenditure. Spending a few hundred to learn a valuable lesson about cars/trucks is just like that...money spent for knowledge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sooo... what your saying is its a huge possibility he ruined the new transmission and new engine? Sweet I love throwing 5k in the garbage...

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts
Probably the torque converter isn't seated properly.

Someone just posted a youtube video on how to make sure it's installed properly.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
I can't imagine it did damage to the engine.
Sounds like several possibilities, but there may be more.
Knowing what transmission it is would help.

1) Torque convertor not properly seated.

2) Studs or nuts on torque convertor are hitting something.

3) Starter stuck or misaligned.

4) assuming the flexplate (auto) / flywheel(manual) was installed correctly. I don't think B&M does manuals so I would assume it's an automatic.

5) Don't trash him & it yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the c6 auto tranny from b and m website if you pull up 78 ford bronco it shows compatible lol what a joke they also told me over the phone it was 4wd.. I hate them, but anyways...

It sounded like gravel grinding when he started it for a second?

We're not talking right now.. He said he will never touch it again.. So now I am trying to figure out what to do. The thing is he is beyond frustrated because everything we try and do goes to shit on it. First engine was bored lopsided by the shop and was garbage.. Went to file on the owner and he sold his shop and disappeared. Just got the new engine in it and now this with the tranny. I swear it's going to be the death of me... Or he's going to drive it over a cliff if it ever runs lol

Ok let me try and find that torque converter link... I will go under the truck and check it all out. If the torque converter wasn't seated properly would that cause tranny or engine damage? Pretty sure flywheel and starter are ok...

Any chance the adapt from 2wd to 4wd could have been done incorrectly?

I'm way over stressing this.. That's my job as a woman though lol ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fought b and m for months. If you pull up the transmission on their site it says compatible and all that. Just as they said over the phone.. The CEO admitted fault and another employee BUT wanted me to spend just as much to ship it back as to adapt to 4wd so went with that. In fact when opened b and m had built it incorrectly with missing parts... We had the choice of escalating from bbb to small claims and waiting several more months to go through all that and have a transmission.. He chose to adapt instead of waiting any longer. My husband has been trying to get this going for years and when he gets frustrated I am actually the one to motivate him to keep going... I buy most the stuff with MY money that I save up for to surprise him with. If he needs help in the garage I'm the one getting dirty with him... So because at this moment I am extremely frustrated does not mean I am in the garage breathing down his neck rolling my eyes. I am in a separate area giving him space trying to do my own research to help.. So as To NOT stress him out...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Pull the inspection plate off of the transmission bell housing and rotate the engine with a ratchet on the damper bolt. Feel, look, and listen for a possible problem. A gravel sound at idle will likely be a slight scrape, tick, rough feeling with hand turning. If nothing is found, go deeper. Pull the nuts off the torque converter studs and see if it will slide back any with gentle prying. Should be a slight amount of room for it to go back. If its jammed up odds are it wasn't installed right and trans will need to come back out. If that's not it move to the starter. Is it the starter for an auto, what brand is it, installed correctly, fits in the motor plate correctly, and gear is moving freely.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Bigtruck, You have been around here for a while. Be sure to come here a lot. These guys are awesome when it comes to trouble shooting. Check to be sure that the inspection plate bolts(screws) are not too long. On a C6 there isn't a lot of room between the cover and the flexplate. It makes one hell of a lot of noise if the screws are too long and they rub on the flexplate! Just so you know, it's not all that hard to have trouble with the TC. I have done probably 30 or more engine swaps and I did manage to screw one up. If the TC was not seated properly and the engine was clamped tight it may have broken the trans pump. I would just pull the motor back out after you check what these other guys and I have suggested.
I know it's after the fact, but when you run into issues with companies and have proof that the company screwed up you are entitled to be made whole. Pretty much any lawyer will send a registered letter of your intent to sue for about $125-$150. This is usually more than enough to convince a company that knows it is wrong to make the situation right. You could have shipped it right back and then sued them for the cost of shipping and the trans. I don't know about now, but about 3 years ago I shipped a trans from Northern WI. to central Ohio for about $150. including my cost of delivering it to the trucking dock. If you are motivated it isn't that hard. I found a local business that had skids. I cut one down to the right size and the strapped the trans on and made the rest of the crate with scrap wood and some screws. My son and I loaded the trans into the back seat of my buick regal and then drove an hour to the truck dock and then set it in their lot. They brought out a lift and I was done. I would also try looking for a different area for service. I drive 60 miles to get to a reputable trans and engine shop. Someone here on this site or local may be able to recommend a shop. The extra time for research and travel are almost always worth the effort. Don't let this discourage your husband or yourself. You are obviously a great wife!! Most of us have wives that just tolerate our obsessions with our old Fords. To have someone that is thoughtful enough to save money and surprise their spouse with Bronco stuff is so cool!
Swamp

·
Super Moderator
26,049 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. So his brother got under there and noticed a flywheel bolt was a little loose..

He talked him into trying to wrench on it a bit..

He started it again, same noise. It actually sounds like a few youtube videos I found online about loose flywheels. He also was wondering if it's possible the torque converter could have loosened too due to that and if that's the case would the tranny pump be ruined? Or just the entire transmission? Does this require an entire rebuild of the transmission again? The starter teeth (new starter) are also chewed up.

He wants to give up but I swear I will sink every dollar extra I ever have into it until this money pit runs lol.

I called a shop today and I am going to secretly tow it in I guess... I feel really bad, my husband never gets emotional, but after all his work and nothing ever going right on this (he'll hate me for saying this) he was just about in tears =(

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
so sorry for your bad luck. This is why when you have an engine or transmission rebuilt, you NEVER go CHEAP. Find someone with many years in business, that has done thousands and thousands of them, with good reviews and lots of satisfied customers who they will be willing to let you contact if you desire.

Every time I have gone the cheap route on something like this it has come back to haunt me one way or another. Also, some things are better done by a professional mechanic. It sounds like you have just had a bad run of luck on this project truck. We all have been there in some way at some time. Its just one of those things that happens, and none of us like it, but it does happen. Maybe now its time to set this project aside for a while and save up some money to get a pro to resolve the issues.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have had similar issues in past, always learned from what I did not quite right

don't give up

can you post a video of the sound?
does it grind, ratchet,tick,thump ,knock etc

does it sound tinny or a solid hard sound

a loose /cracked flywheel will make a sound like all hell is about to break loose

I wish you were closer to me, I would stop by and give you a hand!

although,cali sounds pretty good to me this time of year in the Detroit area!

·
Use the Force...
968 Posts
When I installed my AOD, there was a terrible grinding noise, too. The TC bolts were rubbing on the separator plate and it was hair raising. I took the access cover off and used a large screw driver to create more space. Turned the motor with a socket and no more contact. Put the plate back on and haven't had an issue since then.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
When I installed my AOD, there was a terrible grinding noise, too. The TC bolts were rubbing on the separator plate and it was hair raising. I took the access cover off and used a large screw driver to create more space. Turned the motor with a socket and no more contact. Put the plate back on and haven't had an issue since then.
I forgot about that. At first, mine was so tight the engine wouldn't rotate. Some dremel clearancing of a couple threads on each bolt and I never had another problem.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts
Take out all the spark plugs and have your husband turn the motor over by hand. Have someone underneath to listen and try to figure out what exactly this noise is. It may be a simple fix. But better to know exactly before spending another grand or so to get it fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took it to a mechanic today. IT WAS THE BRAND NEW STARTER!

It was defective... Same thing happened with our carb from AutoZone lol Figures...

Was hoping to have it to my hubs running by xmas but he would have noticed it missing since I decided to leave it there to fix the rear drive shaft for him too, which I guess is bent and dangerous. Either way he was soooo relieved when I told him it was fine!!!

He had gone over everything you guys said to check and swore it was all fine and started getting really down about what was wrong. He figured the starter was fine because he just bought it so it was the only thing he didn't check except for to see if it was on right.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Probably the torque converter isn't seated properly.

Someone just posted a youtube video on how to make sure it's installed properly.
This was the first thing that came to mind. You have to rock it back and forth several times to get it seated. It should fall in about 3 times if I am thinking right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts