Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the new weatherstrip on my 1996 bronco pass door. The door closes but there is at least a 1/2 or more gap between the door and the body all the way down the closing edge... it looks rediculas. Prior to R/R door ligned up beautiflul.

I made sure the weather strip was correct part and is pushed on all the way of the pinch seal.

The door closes easily and has no rattle I will attach photos in a min? This seems like the easyest of all repairs, you just pull it off and push the new one on paying close attention to getting it all the way up in the corners. What in the world could be going on?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Perhaps your striker bolt is out to far. It may have been adjusted out over the years to compensate for the worn out rubber..
Just a thought.
If you push on the door will it then seat flush with the body?

·
Registered
280 Posts
It looks like the door isn't fully latched when I replaced my weather strip I had to slam the doors for a while till the rubber got conformed.

·
Banned
38,720 Posts
An error occurred while getting information about your galleries.
:red x
Read this: http://www.supermotors.net/forums/thid-5972-how-do-i-post-pictures-sounds-and-or-videos

What brand are the new gaskets? Cheap parts don't work even when new. That's why I use OE JY parts - they're typically far superior, and you can be sure they fit. This is a really cheap & effective way to refresh old door gaskets:

But even if the door LOOKS aligned, it can still be off due to hinge wear, body twisting over the years, & collapsed body mounts. I recommend Energy Poly body mounts, and then aligning the body to the frame.

Once that's done, align the doors to the body (which should fix the seal gaps), then the fenders to the doors, then the wiper valance to the fenders, then the hood to the valance & fenders (it may be necessary to adjust the fronts of the fenders & the core support to the hood), and then the hood latch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Yep ...it does look not closed all the way doesn't it. It is fully latched however.... Im slow I guess ... I just don't understand it ... it is soft rubber why is it not just compressing....

·
Registered
100 Posts
You'll find that a few hot days in the sun will help soften the rubber, I've seen ford weather stripping do the same thing on a mustang.
Then again I'm still waiting for my sunroof to seat 2 years later...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great call on the gasket repair Steve! I will definitely have to give that a go. I have ignored the door rattle so long that I almost don't notice it anymore, but it's still annoying at times and needs to be addressed.

Thanks for posting this 96EB. Otherwise, I might've dealt with the door rattle for a considerably longer period of time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
weatherstrip

I have to do mine this week. Previous owner I believe went at the weatherstrip with a coat hanger. I looks like you have to take all the trim on the inside off in order to seat the new strip, is that correct?

any pointers and I would be greatful!!

coxjam

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your windows are all closed then you might also try leaving them open a crack.
I had a brand new vehicle where it's doors needed to be slammed shut.
Unless I reduced inside pressure by venting the window.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
62 Posts
:red x
Read this: How do I post pictures, sounds, and or videos? | SuperMotors.net Forums | SuperMotors.net

What brand are the new gaskets? Cheap parts don't work even when new. That's why I use OE JY parts - they're typically far superior, and you can be sure they fit. This is a really cheap & effective way to refresh old door gaskets:

But even if the door LOOKS aligned, it can still be off due to hinge wear, body twisting over the years, & collapsed body mounts. I recommend Energy Poly body mounts, and then aligning the body to the frame.

Once that's done, align the doors to the body (which should fix the seal gaps), then the fenders to the doors, then the wiper valance to the fenders, then the hood to the valance & fenders (it may be necessary to adjust the fronts of the fenders & the core support to the hood), and then the hood latch.
Great tip! I've also found that a good silicone spray helps to rejuvinate the seals exterior and the slick nature of silicone helps it slide/settle in place and wear less. No issues with seals breaking down over 10+ years of doing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts