Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided im goig to attempt to install a set of gears in a sterling, i know it is going to take a lot of work, but i have done my research and will have someone there to assist me.

My question is, what is the Master Housing Dimension for this axle, the reason i ask is because i was readin on a mustang forum that all ford axles have one listed and it makes the pinion depth set up a lot easier if u dont have the check tool(which i dont). Or is there a better way to go about setting the pinion depth with out having the proper tool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since Ford sets the stock ring and pinion to the correct specifications for your particular axle housing, the easiest way to set the correct pinion depth would be to measure the stock pinion head with good caliper and see what the difference is compared to the new pinion head (for example purposes lets say the stock pinion head measures 1.600") . Also measure the stock pinion shim and record the thickness (for example purposes lets say it measures .025"). Example, if the stock pinion head measures 1.600" and the new pinion head measures 1.597" you need to add a .003 shim to the new pinion to bring the total thickness of the new pinion to a total of 1.597"+.003"=1.600" and then add the stock pinion depth shim of .025" before you press on the new bearing. So now you have 1.597" + .003" + .025" = 1.625" which is the same as the stock pinion depth of 1.600" + .025" = 1.625" and should be right on! :thumbup Second example if the new pinion is larger, lets say its 1.603", you need to "remove" .003" of thickness. We can easily do this by decreasing the thickness of the stock pinion depth shim. So we subtract .025" - .003" = .022" which is our new pinion depth shim! So now the new pinion head thickness of 1.603" + .022" = 1.625" which is exacly the same as our stock value of 1.625". If you can get new Ford Racing gears for your 10.25" axle, the pinion head thickness should be exaclty the same thickness and so all you would need to do is repalce is the stock pinion shim of .025" with a new .025" shim just so you have a new depth shim under there (remember the .025" is for example purposes only). After this the only thing you have to worry about is setting the correct back lash and carrier bearing preload. The easiest way to do this would be to put shims on your carrier housing so that the carrier fits very snug in the axle housing, adjust the backlash to specifications and then check the pattern. Once you are satisfied with the pattern, you need add an equal amount of shim thickness to both sides of the carrier to give proper bearing preload, this will not mess up your back lash ;) . Over all, I think it should be just like rebuilding a 8.8" its just that the 10.25" axle is MUCH bigger and has different torque settings on the main caps. :beer Hope this helps, if I missed something please let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks that really helps, my gears should be in monday so i shall see how it goes

this set up is only going to be temp. until im able to finish an SAS, so i figured it would be good pratice

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i got the pinion depth and preload set, im on to setting the backlash, im a little confused though, when i had the bearings pulled there were no shims under them only a big one on each side outside of the bearings and the shims that came with the set up kit seem like they only go outside the bearing, now i i know 10 bolts are like this but is the sterling the same way

·
Registered
317 Posts
thats strange you said that, i pulled my gears in the broke 10.25 and i didnt have any shims on the carrier also,

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
RCcola55 said:
ok i got the pinion depth and preload set, im on to setting the backlash, im a little confused though, when i had the bearings pulled there were no shims under them only a big one on each side outside of the bearings and the shims that came with the set up kit seem like they only go outside the bearing, now i i know 10 bolts are like this but is the sterling the same way
Yes, 8.8s and 10.25 shim outside the bearings.
Makes it easier to setup..........kind of.
Get your smaller shims in first, then tap, TAP LIGHTLY on the larger shims (if needed)
If the stock shims are to large, a belt sander will knock them down.
Don't crack them! using 1 large shim and 1-3 smaller ones is easier then 40 smaller ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got it all together last night, this was my first axle to set up. I set the backlash at .0065" and the bearing preload at 27inlbs , now my only question, my drive shafts have 1350 u joints in them (Highangle driveline shaft), will this fit into the sterling yoke, know it need to be shortened but with the ujoints fit?

·
Registered
36 Posts
This seems to be the answer to Pinion depth. To do this do you mean to measure from the shoulder where the shim seats to the face of the pinion gear ? I'm slower than the average bear.....thanks......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes that is correct, just make sure that when you take the measurement there is no shim present. That way you get the exact measurement of the pinion by itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts