Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to install new push rods in my 79 f150 with a 351w but imn my manual it says they MUST go back in the same positon, will that matter with new rods?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Uh, why are you wanting to replace the pushrods? And are you only replacing the pushrods and nothing else? Is one of them bent or something?

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no when i had to pull the head off to get a broken manifold bolt removed and rethreaded i lost my grip on the head cause i forgot the 351w heads are like 80lbs and it dropped down about a inch and the pushrods stopped it from fallingany farther but id like to be safe instead of sorry

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Oh hmm, ok...with new ones I don't reckon it would matter, because what they're referring to is the wear pattern and how it needs to go back where it came from, just like when removing valves, or lifters you're gonna resuse, they need to go back in the same place because of the wear on them.

Now as far as putting in new pushrods on worn lifters, I don't know if that would matter or not. I'm sure someone much smarter will correct me if I'm wrong. :toothless

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you're springing for the pushrods, why not go for lifters and roller rockers too? How about a nice new hot cam?

Either way, no worries about where the new pushrods go. But do at least inspect the cam and lifters in case they got dinged, especially the cam.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the push rods were 1.89 a peice... no need to start changeing more stuff, everything seems fine enginewise, it was rebuilt before, i dont belive ihave to even mess with the lifters or rockers just get push rodis in through the bottom of the head, line up with the lifters, and install the head

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
You were probably good to go on the old pushrods. A visual inspection for noticeable damage and simply rolling it on say your kitchen table to see if any were bent would have sufficed, IMO.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Replace them. If they are hollow the passageway through the pushrod becomes blocked with gunk/debris/carbon and becomes hard/a PITA to properly clean. This restricts oil flow to the rocker arms. That equals trouble.

For 10 bucks better to be safe than sorry.

I'd get new lifters as well.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
You got about 140 extra bucks to install a decent cam/lifters on that bad boy??? Your 80% there already!! and youll have new lifters

1 - 10 of 10 Posts