Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 has 5 bolt auto hubs im in the middle of replacing with new warm premiums. Old hubs are out and when i attempt to put the new ones in they don't go in far enough to get the small snap ring on the end of the axle. And even without the snap ring on, the hub cover leaves a small gap between hub housing. I read that this was common but i still feel like the new hub needs to go in about a half an inch more. Do i need to remove the existing lock ring and washer in the hub? The Warm instructions dont say to but it would give me enough room. Thanks

New warn assembly in. Needs to go in more over the axle to get snap ring on
[/URL][/IMG]
Heres the existing washer in there. Theres a thick snap ring holding it on
[/URL][/IMG]
Heres the gap im left with without the axle snap ring even on
[/URL][/IMG]
Im missing something here. The install seems pretty straightforward i just need to get that hub assembly in further to get the snap ring on the end of the axle and thatll also fix my gap issue. Thanks guys

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,074 Posts
That is sticking out too far yes.
I think you need to get the conversion nuts to switch from those auto hubs to the manual's. Like this kit has
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Manual-Hub-Conversion-Kit-From-Auto-to-Warn-Premium/productinfo/32126/
I think these are the same thing only by themselves
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Spindle-Nuts-and-Washer-One-Side/productinfo/32092/
You can see how it has a lock nut and washer.

Sometimes you have to push the axle shaft out into the spindle to get the inner snap ring on, though I think you need the other style of hub nuts and you will be able to get it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup i think youre right. My drivers side had a 5 bolt cover and i thought i didnt need the conversion but but passenger side has 3 bolt cover. Can i just leave the stock auto hub guts out and just put the cover back on since they arent working anyways and just wait until i get the conversion kit and drive it with the hub assembly out? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
26,061 Posts
yo sst,

Iolaus (Jeff J) wrote in his Hub, Ball Joint, etc. article "...ran into a problem at this point; the groove for the snap ring wasn't accessible... tried pushing the lock further in, but it was fully seated. I pulled the lock and tried pulling out on the axle, but it didn't budge. I finally went to the back side and pried on the u-joint to push the axle further out. That finally did the job! So then I was able to install the snap ring..."

see the other pics.

Dana 44 Parts Break-Out Diagrams w/ Auto & Manual Locking Hubs & BoM; 6 MB PDF see page 121
Source: by www2.dana.com @ http//www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-9.PDF

btw, you don't need the conversion kit for 5 bolt auto to Manual hub swaps; that kit is just for the later year (~94-96 3 bolt auto hub swaps to manual hubs.
EDIT; I took my sweet 2015 time to write this reply and after I entered it, I saw your latest post about "...
drivers side had a 5 bolt cover and i thought i didnt need the conversion but passenger side has 3 bolt cover..."

Figure on using the new manual hub kit on both sides ; read this "Warn Spindle Nut Conversion Kit is a Ripoff!" by sgroer at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53490&highlight=screw+auto+hubs

"Looking around the net, places get at least $40 for the spindle nut conversion kit that you need to convert 3 screw auto hubs to manual. This link to JBG shows the exact same thing for $10 per side. Just so you know, the conversion kit is nothing more than 4 nuts and 2 washers.
Just wanted to make sure no other FSB member gets duped into buying the conversion kit when all you need are the nuts and washers from JBG."

MIESK5 Note; Jeff's re-designed their site, so here is the new URL for those parts;
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Spindle-Nuts-and-Washer-One-Side/productinfo/32092/

or pull from a yard queen.

Warn® Premium Manual Application Chart; Premium Manual Hub #20990; Premium Spindle Nut Kit #32720; Premium Hub Service Kit #20825 for 66-96 Bronco 19 Splines (Will Not Fit '87-Early '88 Models Vehicles, Flange Mount); 59-96 F 150, 59-75 F 250...Vehicles With Full Time 4WD Requires Transfer Case Conversion Kit; When Replacing Automatic 3 Hole Cap Screw Hubs, You Must Purchase Corresponding Spindle Nut Conversion Kit; Miesk5 Note, CONVERSION KIT P/N 32720 is for both Premium Manual Hub & Standard Manual Hub; "... Warn all metal Premium Hubs exhibit a long list of technical advantages no other hub can match. The external hub body is constructed of the practically indestructible ZA27 super alloy. Inside the cap assembly, wave spring technology is used to enhance reliability. Longer clutch-ring spline teeth and body spline area result in better load handling. Warn Premium Manual hubs feature a larger body wall thickness to optimize clutch-ring strength. Rapid positive engagement prevents ratcheting, dual dial seals lock out contaminants, and a corrosion resistant, chrome-plated finish substantiates our goal of never-ending performance..."
Source: by Warn®

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man. Its my fault for assuming the truck would be symeyeical haha, i shoulda walked 10 steps and checked the pass side. Last time i make that mistake. Gonna order that kit from jbg.

Can i just put the auto cover back on and drive it without the old auto hub "guts" in there until i get the conv kit? Its all gonna have to come back out eventually and they dont even work.

Thanks again guys happy new yrs

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if its safe to drive without the hub insides installed? I took out the drivers side but i need the conversion kit but i dont want to put the old autos back in only to take them back out again. Thanks

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
There's a washer in there you need to pull out. It's in front of the spinal nuts. It's held in by an axle clip. Take that out and see if it goes in further. And you don't need the conversion kit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont? The passenger side has a 3 bolt cover and the drivers side has a 5 bolt cover lol. I agree w you that it looks like if i take that washer and clip out the assembly will fit. But id think if i took out the washer and the ring holding it on then put in the new manuals, the only thing that would hold everything in is the new warm premium snap ring that goes on the end of the axle. Seems like things would be loose in there. Thanks for the quick response, my trucks in pieces in the driveway.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
I dont? The passenger side has a 3 bolt cover and the drivers side has a 5 bolt cover lol. I agree w you that it looks like if i take that washer and clip out the assembly will fit. But id think if i took out the washer and the ring holding it on then put in the new manuals, the only thing that would hold everything in is the new warm premium snap ring that goes on the end of the axle. Seems like things would be loose in there. Thanks for the quick response, my trucks in pieces in the driveway.
I must of missed that you have two different hubs.

But there should be a washer in front of the spindle nuts for the 5 bolt side. that does the same thing as the axle clip that goes on the end once the warn hub is installed. Also, there are many here that can't get that snap ring on and leave it out. As long as the hub ring is in place, everything is secure.

For the side with the 3 bolt hub, you'll need a set of spindal nuts. You should be able to pick these up at your nearest auto part store. The part number is # 05302 by Dorman. Why wait for them to come in the mail??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So for the 5 bolt side just take that washer out after getting the ring off in front of it and put the new warns in?

That clip doesnt have holes for my snap ring pliers to get in to. How are people getting that off? Any tricks or just elbow grease?

Thanks man

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts

this pic shows my that it looks like you already have the right spindle nuts on this side. but it looks like theres a washer you need to remove still. its splined and also held in by a c-clip. the 2 keep the axleshaft from slide too far in

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
So for the 5 bolt side just take that washer out after getting the ring off in front of it and put the new warns in?

That clip doesnt have holes for my snap ring pliers to get in to. How are people getting that off? Any tricks or just elbow grease?

Thanks man
Yes. Take the washer out and reinstall the new hubs.

One of these works good for removing the c clip

Sometimes you can get a finger on each side of it and lift it as well. Then put a screwdriver under it and lift. The clip looks like the one on the right in this picture.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good thanks guys. Im gonna take the c clip and washer out now, put the new hub assembly in and move to the passenger 3 bolt side to see whats in there. Im guessing im gonna need the conv kit for that side but ill find out soon. Thank you very much for the quick replies!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Oh and make sure you have a torque wrench and one of these

or this style

I have both styles and love the style on top. It fits much nicer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats for the 3 bolt side if i need the spindle nuts from theconv kit right?

I got the washer and c clip out
[/URL][/IMG]
Still not enough room to to get that c clip on the end of the axle. I either need a thinner spindle nut or just leave the c clip off (which doesnt sound like a good idea)
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
30 Posts
R1,

IIRC, Ford superceded the factory installed 5 screw auto hub (on your 94)with an improved design 3 screw auto hub.
Looks like someone replaced one of your hubs.
I found this out when I replaced mine due to a racheting/buzzing noise on my drivers side.

Hope this info is helpful. Happy New Year to all at the forum!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah im moving it now. Its coming out a bit not sure if im gonna get it enough. This is what i found on the 3 bolt side and its not coming off
[/URL][/IMG]

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
It's been AWHILE since I've dealt with the 3 bolts. But here is a diagram for you

There should be a retainer ring on the outside you have to remove. Then the hub should come out. But then you have a few more items to remove as well. There is a wheel retainer key #11 in there that I believe is obsolete so save it. It holds the spindle nut in place.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Success! (Kind of) i was able to pry just enough to get the snap ring on. Literally just enough. Millimeters. No gap too. So now if i can get the pass 3 bolt assembly off i can get the other side done after i get the spinsle nut kit. Thanks guys youre awesome, couldnt have done it without you. Just in time, snow started falling
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts