Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long term girlfriend decided to abruptly "reconnect with God" and end our relationship just days before I was about throw money at a shiney piece of glass and metal. So I did what any jilted American man would do - I went and bought a Bronco. Here's what it looked like a few minutes after getting it off the trailer.

Living in the middle of the desert and not really enjoying romping through mud, I decided to go with a rock crawler. Having rolled my Jeep last year, I knew I wanted something with less sheet metal to worry about, and more of a point it this way and let's see what happens kind of truck. I figured I'd pinch the front and dovetail the rear. The blue painters tape was the original plan...

The first cut is the deepest, right?

Stripping the interior...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since it's a rock crawler, the TTB and rear 9" had to go. I had a D60 from a '79 F350 that was originally planned for the now totaled Jeep... so the plan called for one tons. Front crossmember/bumper is made out two 4" x 4" x .250 wall. This moves the frame forward, and should work pretty good as mounting point for the front leaf hangers.

After doing some more looking and planning... the dovetail idea is thrown out the window, and it's time to backhalf the Bronco. Here's the rough cut.

The hangers for the Corporate 14 bolt in the rear are getting moved all the way to the back of the frame, so the gas tank came out and got temporarily moved to the bed. There will be a fuel cel later, this is just to get it around for now.

At this point it's too damn hot for me to work on it the driveway, so it goes down to the shop that built the axles. The Corp 14 is under the rig with the hangers moved all the way to the back and a piece of 3.5" x 3.5" x .250" wall is used as the rear crossmember. Tires are 41" IROKs.

Front end garbage is out, and the D60 is waiting in the background.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This looks like itll be a cool rig when its done. im not a fan of the dovetailing or the pinch in the front but maybe you can win me over :thumbup

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Cool build, Are you going to retain that stocker POS cross member or shave it down / re enforce it?

I think if I were ever going to narrow a bronco, I'd do it this way..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Left overs from the tear down. I've sold everything except for the rear bumper and the rims/tires.

The front and rear axle are in, and it can support it's own weight.

Side shot of the reinforcing plates and front leaf hangers. Front springs are 54" Ford springs with an offset center. Rears are 64" Chevy springs. Minor trimming to front fender just to let the tires fit. Wheelbase is now 120" - stretched 16" from the original 104".

Another shot of the front frame repair and reinforcing. The combination of the previous owners as well as the lifted TTB and hacked up front bumper install caused the frame to need some help. The area around the steering box was badly cracked, and the bottom third of frame was cut off to install the front pre-runner style bumper. Once the TTB and all it's hardware was out, the front half of the cross member was trimmed. You can almost see it in the blurry cel phone shot.

D60 from a '79 F350 Snow Fighter, Reid knuckles, 35 spline outers, Yukon drive flanges (still waiting on some hubs, they're back ordered), Rock Crusher High Steer Arms, 1.5" x .250" wall DOM tie rod with "1 ton" Chevy TREs, Detroit Locker, 5.38's, all new brake parts (PO of the axle had driven until the calipers siezed and cracked the rotor), and PSC single ended 8" ram...

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Cool build..

But how cheap of a ring did you plan on buying her :) J/k man... Looks like a cool project.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But how cheap of a ring did you plan on buying her :) J/k man... Looks like a cool project.
I still haven't spent all of the money I had set aside for the ring and the honeymoon... far too much.

I'll take the wheels if you are willing to ship them to illinois
I'd have to say that the shipping would be more than what I'm selling the rollers for, and borderline ridiculous.

Cool build, Are you going to retain that stocker POS cross member or shave it down / re enforce it?
The one in the front that the TTB attached to? The rear half was left alone, but the front half was shaved to leave an edge on it for rigidity. I'll be making a skid plate from just under the radiator to the oil pan, and I'll likely use what's left of the crossmember as an anchor point.

This looks like itll be a cool rig when its done. im not a fan of the dovetailing or the pinch in the front but maybe you can win me over :thumbup
Obviously had to either trim the fenders a lot or lift the rig sky high. Not a fan of floppy rigs, especially on some of the steep off camber stuff we have around here, so the other option was cutting. Originally wanted to dovetail the rear, but I ran short on time, and saw no real benefit from keeping little strips of the sheet metal and brake lights in the back. The front will be a little wider than the radiator with a hoop in front of the radiator that will support the narrowed hood and tie in to the A pillar.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Three things:
1 - Welcome
2 - Awesome build
3 - This thread is the complete inverse of AJ's. :D

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Welcome to FSB.. Cool build :thumbup

Also.. Be glad she left now and not after you were all tied down and she could take 1/2 your stuff... :thumbup

3 - This thread is the complete inverse of AJ's. :D
:histerica:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Nice build!

Bronc's got big square fronts. Them corners make it hard to navigate some trails. I narrowed the front of mine and dropped the front of the hood 2" and man is it easier to wheel and you can see more of the trails .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the compliments - it beats getting whispered about by the neighbors. I guess if I got the pile of sheet metal, old leaf springs, and the rest of the junk out of the yard they might talk to me instead of at me.

Nice build! Bronc's got big square fronts. Them corners make it hard to navigate some trails. I narrowed the front of mine and dropped the front of the hood 2" and man is it easier to wheel and you can see more of the trails .
Current target is to be as wide as the radiator/frame at the very front - started looking at getting rid of the core mounts today as the tires will probably be into them at full stuff with the slightest turn. I'm not too worried about dropping the hood just yet, only cutting the corners off and getting stuff out of the way of the tires.

liking the build so far....when did you start on it all?....and welcome to fsb. keep the progress and pics coming!:thumbup
I drug it home April 11th this year, and sold the hard top on Craiglist the next week. The axles have been down at the shop since May being built as a low priority whenever you have time and all the parts arrive kind of thing. I should have driveshafts by the middle of next week, but just found out today there's an issue with PSC pump and the existing PS bracket not being even close to working together. So it may be another week before I get it home to rip off the front fenders and find a mall I can take some pictures at.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More shots from under the rig, which has been named Jolene. Yes, the Dolly Parton song, but think of the White Stripes or Me First and the Gimme Gimmes singing it.

Here's the modified stock crossmember.

Orbital valve mounted up and attached.

Rear hanger support for the front leaf. The lifted Skyjacker Radius arms tweaked the frame pretty good on both sides. This was the best we could come up with without spending too much time to get the frame perfect.

Did I mention the frame was really cracked at the steering box? Between this, the bushings on the radius arms, and the built in problems with a half assed lift, the Bronco drove like a meth'd out mongoose about to score for the weekend at any speed faster than park.

Shot of the Corporate 14 with disc brake conversion.

Rear axle mock up.

Another shot of the rear leaf spring hangers.

Blurry cam shot of the hydraulic ram mount.

D60 build progress, keeping the factory brake shields.

D60 build progress, completed with all new brakes.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
she seriously did that. what a bitch, that sucks. kinda

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
but just found out today there's an issue with PSC pump and the existing PS bracket not being even close to working together.
I could be wrong, but does that PSC pump bolt in where a Saginaw would go? If so, an appropriate Econoline PS bracket would be the ticket. If I am wrong, well, please pardon me for opening my mouth, stuffing my foot in it, and my head up my @$$ at the same time.:haha

1 - 20 of 94 Posts