Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows why my dash lights on my bronco don't work. Its a 1990. The headlights, taillights, parking lights, glove box light all work. But the interior dome lights, air conditioning lights, and instrument gauge lights don't turn on. I checked the fuses they are good. I checked the light bulbs on the gauges and they are good.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
1). How did you 'check' the fuses?

2). How did you 'check' the bulbs?

3). Have you checked the light switch itself? Or the connections to the back of it?

4). Can I borrow three bucks? 'Til Saturday?......

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're gonna need an extension cord. Cut the end off of it and run it from your house to the bronco. now pull the fuse box, you'll have a fuse for cigar lighter, and one for the radio. Put the white wire into the cigar lighter fuse hole, and the black wire into the radio fuse hole. Now, with the engine running, pee into the radiator fan, that'll make sure you get proper cooling for the flux capacitor... :rofl:

sorry, felt like being stupid...

Like the fella above, replace the fuse if you don't have a way to really check it. sometimes they can look visibly ok but be messed up anyhow.

If your light switch is all hooked up and working (you'll need a meter or test light to see) then you may have a bad ground in the circuit. Those crazy looking wiring diagrams in your chiltons or haynes manual will help, it will tell you what color wire you are looking for, and a little about where it is. usually a ground will be black, but don't count on it 100% of the time. It sounds bad but isn't really. it might be best to remove the driver's seat, it's not hard and will make your adventure under the dash much more pleasant.

but before you go through all of that, make sure you don't have a secondary fuse under the hood!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where would i have secondary fuses at under the hood? the only fuse type things ive seen under the hood are the relays for the fuel pump, starter, etc. and do you know where the ground would be. because i dont think i have those books with diagrams in my car

·
Registered
710 Posts
You'll have to buy the books. any auto parts store will have one for your bronco. No I don't know where your ground will be, someplace under the dash.

Go buy a chilton's or hayne's manual for your truck, it will tell you all you need to know about it.

Are you sure the headlight switch is good? that could cause all of that to not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think its good. the headlights turn on when i pull the lever out. i was told it might be the dimmer switch so im going to run a continuity test on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the same problem, replaced fuses. replaced light switch. dash lights dont work, all others do.
dont have power comming into the fuse pannel for that fuse, slot 10 for instrument lights.

any luck on fix, i got a temp fix on it now. a hot wire from the headlight switch to the slot 10 for instruments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts