Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In searching for new insurance, so that i can register the bko in florida i have discovered that most insurance companies will not write a policy for a vehicle that has been modified.

i was told by progressive, gmac,allstate and state farm that if the bronco has a suspension lift it cannot be covered, period. they would not write a policy for a vehicle with any suspension modifications. gmac said that they could write a specialty equipment policy, but only for modification up to 4 inches.

when i asked them who everyone has for insurance, that has a six inch or greater lift, they said that they didn't know. i asked them what the deal was, considering i live in the south, where at every traffic light there is atleast one lifted truck. how could these be insured vehicles. she said that people do not always divulge that their vehicle is modified and that it wasn't an issue, unless a claim was/is made to cover collision or damage as a result of the vehicle.
so if you get into a wreck and destroy someones mercedes, you are basically on the hook for the damages out of your own pocket. inssurance or not, because your vehicle does not follow the guidlines in the underwriting. WTF.
Bullshit.

i have called a bunch of insurance underwriters in the state, and have only come up with a few that are willing to write a policy. and these are companies that you would not think of first, these are the little ghetto insurers, which makes me a little apprehensive.
why wont the big underwriters get involved in aftermarket accesorized vehicles?
i would prefer to stick with progressive, they have been good for the last several years that i have had the truck and the accord before that. sucks that i have to switch companies because of mods to the truck.

totally lame.

check your insurance everybody. this aint right.

i will keep y'all posted as always. this effects us all here.
cheers,

jason

·
Administrator
22,849 Posts
Do you have Nationwide out there? I have them on my bko...all i had to do was send pics of the vehicle after lift install and they still kept it on my insurance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What a crock of s#*t!! Most trucks I've seen that have any kind of lift are in very good condition and most likely are well maintained so they would be safer (ie: brakes, tires, etc) than some of these passenger car rolling wrecks
that smoke, have bald tires etc. Typical insurance company BS. My insurance
is Nationwide. Did you offer the info or did they ask? Mine did'nt ask.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
State Farm fixed my lifted Ranger after it was wrecked.
They even factored the cost of the lift in to keep from totaling it.

Stop telling agents that it's lifted, agents are stupid.

·
Administrator
22,849 Posts
Gacknar said:
State Farm fixed my lifted Ranger after it was wrecked.
They even factored the cost of the lift in to keep from totaling it.

Stop telling agents that it's lifted, agents are stupid.
:stupid we deal with them everyday in the body repair industry

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agents are dumb.
i just hollared at nationwide and they are going to get my business.
pretty cheap to. real easy to deal with.

thanks for the help y'all

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know who you spoke with that told you that. I work for one of the one's you listed above on the claims side IN Florida. I see modified trucks all the time coming through here. There might be some issues in that they might not cover all of your modifications in a collision (when you file with your carrier) claim. Some only allow $1-2k in custom parts.

Go online and search around.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they said they would right a policy at all, considering i had a modified vehicle.

nationwide would though and i have found a few others now as well. i have to switch companies, but i think i am straight now.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I don't keep full coverage on mine. I figure if I get in a wreack the remains are worth more to me to rebuild than what they would give me. I also save $$$ in cost of the insurance.:thumbup

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Also most insurances don't cover offroad either... If that tree jumps right out in front of ya just remember someone hit you while you were parked in a parking lot and ran.:banghead

Make sure to wipe off the tree bark before seeing the ajuster...:toothless

·
Registered
125 Posts
You divulge too much info. If my ins. company saw my bronco (rolling wreck) they'd drop me in a heartbeat. Unless they specifically ask if it is modified.... it ain't.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are rolling the dice, not having good insurance.
i generally do the right thing all the time. if my insurance company wants to know the condition of my vehicle, theni am going to let them know.
if i get into a wreck, i want to be covered not just for my vehicle but for the mess, the bronco is going to do to someone else's car.
by not fully disclosing information you may be in breach of contract. which essentially translates into you paying more or paying the max.
why bother being cheap its always more expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your right. A fsb is heavy and will f-up whatever it hits. Does'nt matter who is to blame, better to be covered than bankrupt. My rig costs more to insure than our much newer minivan due to weight considerations. Oh, by the way, the minivan is my wife's!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 79 Bronco has a 6" lift with 35's and i've got State Farm. I showed my agent pics of it when i insured it and he never asked about modifications. Missouri has a bumper height law and its within that requirement. I carry liability & property damage only on it. I figure in the event of an accident any insurance co.( mine or somebody elses) is going to look at its age and say its only worth a $1000.00 regardless how much money is in it or how nice it is.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am not carrying a ton of insurance on the bronco for the same reason, i just want to cover the damage to someone else car, when i cream them. i know the insurance company aint gonna give me didly for my truck, i m not concerned so much about that.

2 months ago i was at a stop light, the girl in front of me tried to shoot into traffic, and decided it was a bad idea, so she shot it into reverse, not paying attention, and rammed right into me. the bko was fine, her 740 volvo wagon didnt fare so well. luckily, she fessed up to the cops that she hit me, and that it was all her fault. lucky lucky me. her car was wasted. the entire rear end, glass, tailgate, busted, she had buckling in the roof and everything. the bko didn't literally have a scratch.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i have USAA and adding the BKO (when i actually do it) is going to raise my ins. by only 300.00 every 6 months. thats with basic insurance + medical in case something happens and chevi gets hurt somehow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts