Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good way to clean the upper intake runners on a 5.0? is there a tool or flexible brush that i can use? I am planning on doing my valve covers and figured i should clean my intake as well.

thanks

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I did mine I used a TON of Castle carb cleaner and a flexible wire brush. DO NOT spray carb cleaner down the lower intake. You can wash out the crank bearings if it gets down and mixes with the oil

EDIT: This is the stuff I used
http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ShopChems/dragonfire.html

Don't go with the cheap cleaner, it will take a million cans. Get the strong stuff, it'll break the gunk right up.
The lower intake was cleaned real good when i redid the engine. the upper one was not so good cause i couldnt get down the intake runners. I plan on cleaning it when the upper intake is off.

Where can i get that cleaner at? and in the upper intake did you just spray it down that thing? I cleaned them with gas when i rebuilt the engine. and the wire brush is that a pipe brush?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Do you have access to a parts washer? That is what I used when I rebuilt my motor, but then again I worked at a Ford stealership. I really need to clean mine as well, she kinda runs like sh!t right now.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is one but it is not a good one. it is gravity fed and sucks. besides that im doing it at a friends garage that lives like 30 minutes away from here. I will use some b12 or throttle body cleaner shit and try to find like a pipe brush or something. just trying to get as much as i can done when i take it off so i dont have to do it anymore.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
If you can't find the Castle stuff, Valvoline SynPower cleaner has worked good for me.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
eazy off oven cleaner...fill up the intake let it sit for a few minutes and hose it out...
Thats a new one. I will have to try that...

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
eazy off oven cleaner...fill up the intake let it sit for a few minutes and hose it out...
Doesn't easy off only work when you turn the oven on?
I never really worried about it. I used a tooth brush when I did mine as far as it would reach and what it wouldn't didn't bother me since it only has air flowing through it.

But if there is a way to clean it all, I would.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Doesn't easy off only work when you turn the oven on?
I never really worried about it. I used a tooth brush when I did mine as far as it would reach and what it wouldn't didn't bother me since it only has air flowing through it.

But if there is a way to clean it all, I would.
Easy off works great on grease, and if the part is warm, it works faster.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Easy Off has a no-bake oven cleaner. Hey, if you're at Eglin, you might try one of the Aircraft shops on base. They might have a good high-temp parts washer. Or go to a machine/radiator shop and get it vatted. Shouldn't cost much.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope not even an option to go to a shop on base. A clean intake isnt worth my career

·
Registered
671 Posts
Will they bust your balls for misappropriation of government equipment or something like that? Is there strict rules for using their stuff for your own personal use?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Is that a policy that employees can't utilize equipment on the base?
That is BS, that should be a perk. Just like I use company welders and materials to make stuff for myself.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is called fraud, waste, and abuse.

When I first came in we could use the Vehicle maint. facilities as long as we used our own stuff and cleaned up after ourselves, same for our washrack. Hell when i came in they used to pay for dependents dental and what not and to use anything on base was free. Now, you cant do anything that is not involved with the government directly or it is bad juju. So i think i will just get some easy off and a big pipe cleaner brush and go to town.

thanks

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Shmeh. You need to know who to be acquainted with, is all. I got a bad mofo of a power washer at work I use all the time. What do you do?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts