Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started a post about my motor missing and thanks to everyone's suggestions I found several problems. The one I'm currently working on is replacing the intake gasket due to a vacuum leak.

My question is, what causes the gasket to come apart like this? Did I over tighten when I first bolted it on.

Also any tips to keep it clean in there while I scrape the old gasket off? Is a wire wheel a good idea here? What about a wire wheel on the aluminum intake to clean it up?

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have always used diesel soaked rags to stuff down in the heads while I clean them. The diesel does a great job at catching any debri. And be very careful cleaning aluminum with any kind of rotorary tool. You can easily score the metal.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nice. Good thing there is no coolant in an M-block intake.

I have had so many sets of those fel-pro print-o-seal gaskets come apart that I refuse to use them any more. I think they are intended for the racer with velcro holding his engine together.

Anyhow, when I had my M-block I had the best luck with the steel valley pan gasket. It kept hot oil off the intake and sealed well between the aluminum intake and iron heads. If you have to have gaskets then try the edelbrock 7265 gaskets, they are steel core and will not come apart like the print-o-seal.

For cleaning, I typically stuff paper towels into the ports and lay an old towel in the lifter valley. You need to keep the debris out of the lifter valley as it can and will clog the oil pump pick up. Of course, keep the ports clean to keep debris out of the cylinders. A sharp razor scraper works well to get the old print-o-seal gasket material off.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i've always had the best luck with the steel valley pan, and a thick line of rtv on the ends because the rubber end gaskets bring the suck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steel valley pan is the way to go. Just did my first one recently and was impressed.

Do not use a wire wheel on any of that stuff. If just one wire to come loose and get awy from you it could play hell on various parts.

I use alum foil quite often when doing work like htis as its easy to form to the shape need and makes a nice pan to wad up when done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I wasn't sure if you could use one of the valley pans with an aluminum intake or not. I'll be getting one of those as the replacement.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Edelbrock actually recommends the metal felpro pan.

Do a little diggin' on here about whether or not to use sealant around the openings. The directions suggested it so I did, but many have stated good success installing them dry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts