Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my cooling system pressure checked, i was informed that my intake gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced. I have also been experiencing a finky idle when the vehickle is cold (intermittent rough idle, occassionally it seems to want to stall but doesn't). I had a CEL flicker on and off. Code 33 (i think)...low EGR vacuum (or something like that). The mechanic couldn't find a vacuum leak when he had it. Is it possible that the intake leak could be the cause of both problems??

I have to get ready for work so I wont be able to answer any ?s for a little while.

It is a 1988 FSB 351W stock (except K&N FIPK). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:scratchhe

p.s. i am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world. I also live in L.A. so i am very limited on what repairs i can make myself.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I don't think there is a code for low egr vacuum, check again. I assume that since you said the coolant pressure test showed an intake leak that he's talking about a coolant leak from the intake gasket, if it's just a coolant leak then no that wouldn't affect the egr.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RLKBOB said:
I don't think there is a code for low egr vacuum, check again. I assume that since you said the coolant pressure test showed an intake leak that he's talking about a coolant leak from the intake gasket, if it's just a coolant leak then no that wouldn't affect the egr.

i found the paperwork.

It was code 33 in the computer...EGR did not open (intermittent problem)

The mechanic said there is a vacuum problem causing the EGR failure but he couldn't find it.

He wasn't the one checking the cooling system so he wasn't looking at the intake gasket.
could these roblems be related?? Could a leaking intake gasket leak both vacuum and coolant??

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
The egr could be a few things. The easiest way to see if it's a vacuum problem is to see if you have full manifold vacuum at the evr. There should be full vacuum on one port and ported vacuum(almost unnoticeable) at the other port. Yes it is possible about teh intake leak but I doubt it. Check the easier/cheaper stuff first. Are there any other codes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts