Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing to repair a thread on the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. First question is if I need to remove the manifold before drilling. The hole seems to end outside of the block so not worried about trash.

Second question is if I need to still replace the intake gasket. The gasket is brand new, but I noticed I had a lot of smoke coming from the engine and having trouble starting the engine.

I figured I needed to eliminate this thread as the culprit. When installing, I was only able to slightly tighten the bolt (not to torque spec) only a little before no longer tightening. I tried to see if I could get away with and now not so sure.

This is an 82 Bronco with a 351 Windsor.

Here's a pic for reference. Problem hole is one with screwdriver in it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,063 Posts
Should be good to drill in place. A shop vac placed near the drill will help with the chips.

Reactions: Jolene82

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,063 Posts
Thanks. So no need to replace gasket?
Not unless you end up having to remove the manifold. Depending on gasket material, some are reusable. Definitely redo the silicone on the china rails if you take the manifold off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
regarding the helicoil, i used one for my 92 for the thermostat, i put some jb weld(not needed) to make sure it doesnt move at all, it pretty nice taking torgue but if its something more then 35 lbs i would just re tap the hole and get a bigger screw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding the helicoil, i used one for my 92 for the thermostat, i put some jb weld(not needed) to make sure it doesnt move at all, it pretty nice taking torgue but if its something more then 35 lbs i would just re tap the hole and get a bigger screw
Thanks. Torque is around 10 so I should be good

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks. Torque is around 10 so I should be good
oh!!! if its 10 you can use the helicoil with a touch of jb and youll be golden, but in my opinion, if you can retap it and fix it, i would go with that route first

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
274 Posts
This same exact thing happened to me with the dual plane performer intake by edlebrock. Did you use the edlebrock bolts? I did and they were complete crap and I switched to ARP. I drilled it bigger and tapped it but it still would not work great so I had to put a nut and some washers between it and that till it would torque right. Eventually I will do a helicoil as well. It’s a pain working in that area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts