Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wanted to post some pics of a mod I did on my FSB and possibly get some positive/negative feedback on what I did and why. I was just really bored and decided to remove the stock intake and replace it with some parts I put together from my local AutoZone. This is not a kit, each piece was purchased seperately for under $50.oo. I added the small filter to replace the breather line that was connected to the original intake via a 1/2" hose.

I plan on making a hood scoop for Forced Air Induction in which I will be routing the intake upwards to take advantage of said setup. On the last picture, you can see the center panel on the under-side of the hood where i plan on making the cut out for the scoop. Also, I will be adding possibly either an Air Compressor or something else where the box used to be. As you can see there is a huge amount of space freed up since removed.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:histerica

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I'll take that as negative feedback. lol
I mean, it'll be a semi-worthwhile mod once you get a scoop on, directing flow right at those filters and will only be effective when you're moving at a higher speed... but for now, all you're doing is sucking in hot air at the cost of power and economy.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
I mean, it'll be a semi-worthwhile mod once you get a scoop on, directing flow right at those filters and will only be effective when you're moving at a higher speed... but for now, all you're doing is sucking in hot air at the cost of power and economy.
:stupid

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had that epiphany when I was installing it but, then again I am the type of guy that will try something once to see if it works. I figure since I will be adding the scoop soon I would only have this mod temporarily for 2 weeks or so. Just looking for a scoop that suits my needs.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i would have two main concerns.
1. does this give enough air flow.
2. will filters filter the air well enough.

do some research on line about air filtration.
i think you will find that the stock filter will probably meet your needs, and
give your motor much cleaner air.
my old 351 was fairly well upgraded(intake, heads, cam etc.) i noticed no difference in performance when i went back to the stock intake tubes, box and filter.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would have two main concerns.
1. does this give enough air flow.
2. will filters filter the air well enough.

do some research on line about air filtration.
i think you will find that the stock filter will probably meet your needs, and
give your motor much cleaner air.
my old 351 was fairly well upgraded(intake, heads, cam etc.) i noticed no difference in performance when i went back to the stock intake tubes, box and filter.
Really? Well, this is the area I am most stupt at. I know nothing on what's best for intake applications. But another option is ofcourse rigging a snorkel intake that will definately be a worth while mod. Just too expensive to buy as a kit. I think I might be able to search a thread for someone who has fabricated on themselves. That would be helpfull. I's rather do the snorkel than the hood scoop.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
there is a thread here on fsb somewhere about building your own intake.
most of the "high performance" filters that claim more airflow would only be worth while at wide open throttle. generally, the stock filter flows enough air.
most the aftermarket filter do not filter as well as the stock paper filter.
i had a [email protected] that no matter how clean i kept it, it still left dust and dirt into the tubes and throttle body. went back to the paper and the stock box, everything stayed clean, and never could tell the difference between stock and the [email protected] set up.

one thing you might do, is cut a hole in the inner fender, then turn the lower half of the airbox around so it pulls air through there. in theory, you would be getting cooler are than whats under the hood. i did that, but cant tell you for sure if it really did anything either. but its a free mod that only takes a few mins to do. i think there was a thread on how to do that too.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I've always like these intake mods, can't say they help a bunch to give more horsepower. I would be concerned with a small power loss if you're leaving it at that, and the underhood temperature is higher than the outside air. I did alot of searching before I built the Shaker intake on my 84. In the case of your 94 hood, I think a 2-3" cowl scoop with a hole cut out of the back section would suck some of the hot air out and away from the engine. In your pic of the hood, there's a big center section, then three smaller one toward the rear. As long as you don't cut into the rear brace under the hood, you won't hurt the structural integrity. If you do go with a forward-facing scoop, you'll have to dea lwith bugs and junk getting into the opening by using a foam filter. JSM84

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Also, I will be adding possibly either an Air Compressor or something else where the box used to be. As you can see there is a huge amount of space freed up since removed.

I think you'll be better off once you get some fresh air to it and back it with some kind of airboxing around it to seal it to the fresh air intake scoop.

Heaven knows I've wanted to do that myself, just the lack of fresh air that stopped me.

Now, finally a late model (92-96') Bronco that can take advantage of what us 80-86ers take for granted:toothless

Keep stretchin' the envelope and experimenting. One of these days one of us is gonna come up with a more direct way to get fresh filtered air and into our throttle bodies.

To me 7 feet of hoses between the outside air and the throttle bodies is unacceptable. No wonder the throttle body spiral spacers don't work on Broncos;)

Sixlitre

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always like these intake mods, can't say they help a bunch to give more horsepower. I would be concerned with a small power loss if you're leaving it at that, and the underhood temperature is higher than the outside air. I did alot of searching before I built the Shaker intake on my 84. In the case of your 94 hood, I think a 2-3" cowl scoop with a hole cut out of the back section would suck some of the hot air out and away from the engine. In your pic of the hood, there's a big center section, then three smaller one toward the rear. As long as you don't cut into the rear brace under the hood, you won't hurt the structural integrity. If you do go with a forward-facing scoop, you'll have to dea lwith bugs and junk getting into the opening by using a foam filter. JSM84
Yeah, thought about the whole bug and water issues. If I decide to go the route of putting a scoop. I had a buddy that could make what ever shape I wanted out of a wire mesh lined with a very thin foam for even smaller debri. As far as water, I figured I could drill out a series of 1/4" holes before the main opening so the rain water running up the hood would drain out before the intake onto the radiator fan hood/cowl.

Still considering that snorkel intake though. Thanks all for you opinions and feedback. Going to the movies, be back in an hour or so.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice pics of those under the hood toolboxes. Those are sweet, and a great idea for storing tools and fluids. Thanks dude.

And I agree. I will keep playing with this and see if I don't accidentally find something that will really work well with our intakes to provide nice cool air induction.

L8s

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Yeah, thought about the whole bug and water issues. If I decide to go the route of putting a scoop. I had a buddy that could make what ever shape I wanted out of a wire mesh lined with a very thin foam for even smaller debri. As far as water, I figured I could drill out a series of 1/4" holes before the main opening so the rain water running up the hood would drain out before the intake onto the radiator fan hood/cowl.

Still considering that snorkel intake though. Thanks all for you opinions and feedback. Going to the movies, be back in an hour or so.
Yeah, my Shaker scoop would fill up with grasshoppers during the Summer without a foam insert. I also put a couple drain holes and baffles inside to keep water out.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, my Shaker scoop would fill up with grasshoppers during the Summer without a foam insert. I also put a couple drain holes and baffles inside to keep water out.
Man! I just went through your whole shaker project details and pics. Good job with the rig dude. Showed some real crafty work. How was your performance different from before installing the shaker? Significance?

Thanks for the help.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day & night difference, I prolly picked up about 30 HP increase. I flogged the motor so much during a practice mud run that I bent two connecting rods on the boat anchor 351W H.O. That's why I now have a 460, JSM84
Awesome dude. Well I am going to see if I can create something similar even though I have fuel injection. Then again I have an out. If this does'nt work I can always go the route of a snorkel intake right.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Yeah, I do like the mods you've done so far. I've never been a fan of splashing through deep water, cause it will [email protected] up a motor. My specific problem with the bent rods came from an intake manifold gasket leak, since I had remove the Shaker assly to pass inspection and was running a stock setup at the time of the breakdown. Your current setup will prolly work unless you run a deep mud hole, and your stock fan clutch will likely kill your engine before it sucks up any water by spraying water everywhere. I'm working on a modified snorkel intake where I can run the air filter inside the cab in the glove compartment since I have a rollcage and I'm trail-only. IF the water gets that high, I'm in trouble. It has on a couple occaisions when we flood here on the coast, so I might even run it up the A-pillar to the roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts