Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
if machinist annual salary was a little bit higher, i think that would be a pretty sweet job.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
magnumpi said:
if machinist annual salary was a little bit higher, i think that would be a pretty sweet job.
Yea I was suprised by how little it said they made.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
teee-heee...

Machining is the SECOND part of my job.....i don't have a shittun of skills at it, but i can make basic parts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I can run a lathe or milling machine but no money in it. If I didn't have kids and when they get old enough to be on their own, I'm going back over the road.

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
If I had my life to live over again, I'd have chosen (in order)...
  1. Contract law,
  2. Finish carpentry,
  3. Framing carpentry,
  4. Tool and die maker, or
  5. Auto mechanic.
Computers would have been way, way down the list knowing what I know now. Now that I'm retired on a lower (but guaranteed) income, I can putter around the house just dangerously enough to keep the professionals at bay.

Machinist? Anybody that is one knows that the tool and die maker is the crème de la crème of the trade. Whatever you do during your working life, develop a skill to carry over into retirement. It'll save a bunch of your retirement income for other things.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not down on reading by any means, but I think, relatively speaking, we're paying librarians way too much money.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gunmetal79 said:
I'm not down on reading by any means, but I think, relatively speaking, we're paying librarians way too much money.
Nobody wants to be a librarian, so it pays better.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Pharmacists, woot! :chili:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It freaking rocks! I already have a job lined up for when I get out of school in five years, and that was with the first place I looked.

Broman's prospects ain't too bad either, he's a machining student.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Mechanic, Marv? Really? I've been toying with this idea, but always figured they didn't make all that much money, which is why I figured I would slowly move my way into running my own repair/upgrade shop later on (repair other people's cars, buy/build/sell cars on the side). After seeing the Sewell Saab shop, though, I wanted so badly to say "SIGN ME UP!"
(Hard to see much of anything here, but http://www.sewellcadillacgrapevine.com/Templates/sewell/images/822_body.jpg look in the background and yeah, the shop really IS like that, though they don't do any body work at the Grapevine dealership)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,122 Posts
Pharmacist is liable to the organization your getting your pills from. They spend yrs and yrs learning all about the drugs and the ingrediants and how those work with the body and interact with each other. That's a lot of boring as shit to remember... so they make the bucks for remembering boring stuff that keeps companies out of trouble for ODin' your grandma.

I'm in the waiting list to get into Orthotics & Prosthetics for the same reasons as the nurse gig. Lots of folks in need comin' up fast (baby boomers = old, fat, diabetics, etc. fallin' apart) and I've already got an angle on the business. There are only 4 courses for O&P Tech in the US and one of them is in my backyard (SFCC).
A career fabricating limbs and helpin' folks out. Probably pays only a bit more than a machinist though. Solid career if anyone was lookin' for another alternative and find the wage acceptable.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
4xPepe` said:
Pharmacist is liable to the organization your getting your pills from. They spend yrs and yrs learning all about the drugs and the ingrediants and how those work with the body and interact with each other. That's a lot of boring as shit to remember... so they make the bucks for remembering boring stuff that keeps companies out of trouble for ODin' your grandma.
Exactly. My aunt went into that field. I remember her with a 9" stack of notecards with drugs and latin roots on them. NOT my idea of fun!

Now give me a list of engines and their oil capacities... THERE'S fun! :toothless

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
OK I realize they know all the info on drugs. But why? To put them in a bottle and hand them to you?
The doctor is the one that prescribes them, knowing what the interactions are. He has your medical records, knows your conditions, etc etc. Pharmacists dont, so why do they need this education?

·
Registered
213 Posts
kf4amu said:
OK I realize they know all the info on drugs. But why? To put them in a bottle and hand them to you?
The doctor is the one that prescribes them, knowing what the interactions are. He has your medical records, knows your conditions, etc etc. Pharmacists dont, so why do they need this education?

Case in point-me; I see 2 different doctors on a regular basis. A "family" doc that takes care of managing my diabetes, and a neurosurgeon that's responsible for putting the titanium plate in my neck. Neither one necessarily knows what the other is prescribing (I make sure they know, however)--so I am getting prescriptions from two doctors. That's where a good pharmacist comes in; they probably know just as much, if not more, about drug interactions as the doctors--and they are the "common ground" in an individuals' health care.

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
I dunno, I think its redundant. Bring a list of meds with you when you go to the doctor. Everyone on a bunch of medication has a list ready for paramedics and hospital staff. If your doctor prescribes something that reacts with another med, and he didnt check with you to see what you were taking, its his responsibility.

We wonder why health care is so expensive

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,122 Posts
kf4amu said:
We wonder why health care is so expensive
OK Dude... this is something you should look into before making a judgment call like that. When I met my ex she was working Pharmacy Asst. at Rite-Aid and I thought much the way you do now.
Currently I'm suppossed to take 3 different medications a day cause my guts are rotting. I don't carry around a "list" of those meds and that's not even the 1/2 of what I can end up on with other problems from my stump. I can't even imagine what some other folks here have to deal with.
Point is... all those chemicals are a liability concern and that puts a Pharmacist in a strong position. You want someone to blame for that... go blame lawyers (no offense to GhostRider) and sue happy morons.

Funny thing is... all that has very little to do with the costs. That lays squarely on the shoulders of the pharmecutical companies, who... by the way are making profits that put them right on the tails of our money grubbing oil companies.

Corporations like "Lilly Pharmecuticals" (aka: "Eli Lilly" - owned in large percent by Quail and Bush families) are insanely out of control becouse no-one is truly liable. Companies are treated by law (and with governmental contributions and special favors out the back door, duh!) as individuals... so no real people actually get held accountable (with a few really stupid exceptions: Enron CEO's) augh!... don't even get me started!:banghead

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
If you thought the point I was making was health care is expensive because we have pharmacists, you're wrong. It was a sarcastic tongue in cheek statement. I realize that a 80k salary at a pharmacy is one of the lowest reasons health care is expensive.

But you know the 3 meds you take. Its only 3, if you cant remember them you have issues. I was referring to the people that take 10, and cannot remember them. They ALL (vast majority) have lists.

I agree with your point about the lawyers...but its the laws that the lawyers cite when in court. Lawyers dont make the laws.

I think its dumb that pharmacies would be considered liable for someone takingn the wrong medication PRESCRIBED BY THEIR DOCTOR. The responsibility lies with the doctor if he doesnt take adequate precautions to prevent something bad happening....IMHO. Sue him, and let me put my own pills in a bottle for free.

-Will

1 - 20 of 29 Posts