Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up an 84 bronco a month ago. I finally finished swapping front carrier, rear axle and transfer case into it cuz they guy toasted them all. Then went to test the heat and found it always comes out the vents, no defrost or floor. I take apart the dash and found that were the vent door is supposed to pivot is broken. My dad and I came up with this little fix. Seems to work fairly well. Here's a few pics.

What you think??

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Which door is that? Did you just bolt the straps to the heater plenum?

Looks like something I'll be doing here next week or so

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We took a junk seat belt, cut it into 3 strips. cut pieces of thin sheet metal and drilled two holes per strap and bolted them to the door. Then there was the other part where it is supposed to hinge (laying across the straps in pic #1) and that bolts to the heater box assembly in two spots and two rivets. I drilled the two rivets out and and just bolted the plastic piece ( from pic 1) back into place, pinching the belt between it and the heater box assembly.

That is the door that cuts off the air from the vents when you select floor, mix, or defrost. Its just to the left of the heater core.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Do you have AC?
From what I've searched under there, it looks Like I have to remoev the entire dash to get to it :cry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I have AC. I just removed the dash pad, the glove box door and inside area, then the cover that gets access to the heater core. Then I wiggled/finessed the upper ducting out gaining access to the door. Then the hardest part it jamming your arm into the area infront of the heater core to gain access to the rear of the vent door.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Hmm, still doesn't sound like fun, thanks for doing it fist, proves it can be done, just have to get to it. :beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts