Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out/color match the original interior of my new Bronco.
I'm used to my '81 Bronco, which all of the interior was black (I loved that) but now have an '85 Eddie Bauer with the light tan interior.
I didn't think it was going to be an issue until I ordered door panels from Bronco Graveyard and was surprised by how off color they were from their pictures.

BGY's picture:

The actual color. You can see how closely the picture above matches my original panel on the right. The panel they sent me is much darker.

It's not exactly close, and I'm not exactly impressed...

Either way, it's $40 to restock them, plus whatever it costs to ship them back (probably another $50), so definitely a much better option to simply recolor them.
However, I'm going in circles trying to track down what the name/color/code my interior is and how to match it to some vinyl paint.
And I have a feeling this is going to be a continual issue going forward as I restore the interior, so I should figure this out now.

For those that have done this, what do you suggest? Or does anyone know what actual paint would match this?

This is the color of my interior:

And no, this is not my interior. I wish! (And check out those power side mirrors!)

Here's my interior:

Lots and lots of screws from dismantling the entire interior to take out the headliner.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I tried to match the the tan in my 84, the closest thing(I thought) was SEM Color Coat in Saddle Tan it was to dark and looked exactly like the panel you got from JBG.
I think Camel or Buckskin will be a closer match.
O'Riellys can order SEM paint, you could have them get you a few different colors to compare and just return(un-used)the ones that don't match
Here is the SEM colors
Aerosols

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what I thought too, as LMC lists their light tan stuff as "saddle". But even then, those appear darker now that I look at them.
Thanks for the link, I was looking around that site but never stumbled upon that. I think you're right on it being buckskin (or at least close too). Camel looks like it might be a little more reddish/brown. On second look, I think Santa Fe might be where it's at.

Might be worth getting their color code chart:

COLORCOAT COLOR CARD

Reactions: JScatt

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
Paint expert's advice... never ever ever ever trust a color to match on your electronic device.

That being said, the Santa Fe looks the best. Followed by sandstone and light buckskin.

Camel is way way too dark, as is saddle tan and light oak.

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paint expert's advice... never ever ever ever trust a color to match on your electronic device.
I hear that. I used to work at a place where we did all our own printing. Never knew fully how it'd look until it was physically in your hand.

What's your thought on printing that image above and using that as a color chart? Or would/could that still differ from the one they'd ship?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Like I mentioned, go to O'Reillys(if you have one nearby)and have them order the color you want so that you can return it easily if you have to.
I went through this with the grey on my 95, ordering paint online is a PIA if you have to return it, especially when you are not sure it will be a close match.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have an O'Reilly's right down the street. They had a number of colors in stock so might even have the one I'm looking for.
By matching them, are you meaning getting the can and holding the lid up to the dash?

Also, in your experience, did you need the ColorCoat Prep? These are brand new, so shouldn't really need to be cleaned, but it does say it temporarily softens the vinyl for adhesion.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I do have an O'Reilly's right down the street. They had a number of colors in stock so might even have the one I'm looking for.
By matching them, are you meaning getting the can and holding the lid up to the dash?

Also, in your experience, did you need the ColorCoat Prep? These are brand new, so shouldn't really need to be cleaned, but it does say it temporarily softens the vinyl for adhesion.
Going by the cap is what I do, unfortunately the cap color is off sometimes too.
I used the SEM 38353 Plastic and Leather Prep to clean the surface

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's frustrating that nothing's accurate enough to be 100%, but at least it's closer than guessing.
And, fortunately, I can always test spray on the back side to see if it matches before spraying the front.

I also saw there was SEM 38343, which is Vinyl Prep. But I'm not sure if the door panels are considered vinyl or plastic. Or maybe the arm rest pads are vinyl and the panel plastic? Dunno.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Since yours are new I would just clean them really good before you paint. The 38353 I used smelled EXACTLY like lighter fluid so yeah, I guess it slightly softens the plastic

Reactions: AbandonedBronco

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
Use the prep product that softens the plastic a bit.

Printing the color chart will be as close as your printer is. Our paint chips are actual paint, screenprinted onto the card. Ink can NEVER duplicate a true paint color. Just like paint will never match a coated pantone ink color perfect. I absolutely hate when we have to do a pantone match because it's always some super crazy bright color that can't be achieved by paint.

I think Jscatt is on the right track.

Reactions: AbandonedBronco

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Found this while poking around the interwebs, shows SEM Desert Tan as the correct interior paint for early Ford trucks/Bronco.
I believe Desert tan is on SEMS Classic Coat color chart

Interior Paint - ???Gary's Garagemahal

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for finding that! That's some really great info.

I'm having a difficult time tracking down Desert Tan though, and it's not on any of their Classic Coat charts. I've found it in some PDF listings, but that's about it (nothing for sale). I'll keep digging, but that's a great start.

Granted, this is listed on the page you linked to:

The following shows the interior colors available for the 1980 - 1986 Ford trucks, as well as the code that goes with each color. In addition, it shows what I believe is the correct SEM Color Coat paint to match the original color. But, note that these are not off-the-shelf paints. You will have to have them mixed by a SEM dealer as the pre-canned paints available at the parts stores are not the correct match for our trucks. How do I know that? Here's what I got from a SEM technical consultant via email:
We manufacture only 50 aerosol colors in COLOR COAT for plastic, vinyl, carpet and velour and would be happy to send you a card since the online versions are too inaccurate to use as a color match. We also have over 6000 formulas created to match all GM, Ford, and Chrysler interior colors from 1976 to present as well as many other colors from some foreign manufacturers that customers have sent in for us to match over the years.
So, putting that together with the fact that the off-the-shelf paints have 5-digits codes and the formulas that SEM shows in their exact-match tables, included below, have 4-digit codes, it is pretty easy to see that there must be some differences.

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the SEM pdf:

Grams of each color to make 1 pint:
3040 DESERT TAN Ford Motor
210.0g - 1559 YELLOW OXIDE
352.7g - 1554 TINTING WHITE
407.8g - 1550 RED OXIDE
420.9g - 1501 LANDAU BLACK

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
According to the SEM pdf:

Grams of each color to make 1 pint:
3040 DESERT TAN Ford Motor
210.0g - 1559 YELLOW OXIDE
352.7g - 1554 TINTING WHITE
407.8g - 1550 RED OXIDE
420.9g - 1501 LANDAU BLACK
Well, a formula is good! You could prolly get a paint store to mix some up. I thought I read somewhere some paint stores can mix up SEM paints. Perhaps BigBlue can shed some knowledge

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even if it's just "close enough". I just don't want to be so off it's noticeable (like BGY's offering). Close will be a lot better than the sun rotted, crumbling ones that are in there.

But it'd be great to actually get the exact color if I can. Might as well! I'll contact SEM and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I think Ford made the 80-86 interior plastic parts out of Play-Doh. The exact reason why I am slowing changing the plastic parts to 87-91 stuff. The later plastic seems more rubbery

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's interesting the differences in interiors I've seen.
My brother's blue interior is exactly like my new tan one. The arms are just chewed up by the sun, crumbling, and deteriorating.

My '81's black interior, however, is immaculate aside from a single crack on the dash that happened after I used ArmorAll (never again).
The door panels look brand new and there's hardly a scratch on them. It's like they used a different material for them and it's impervious to the passage of time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
AB, back in 2013 I did the same as you, ordered panels for my 85 f-150,and used -- LMR https://lmr.com/1979-93-Mustang for my Sem paint . A bit expensive but near correct match. My color was a canyon red FV21.I also used the vinyl prep and cleaner. LMR was good to deal with .I had two cans that would not spray and they sent replacements fast- plus extra. TR

1 - 20 of 45 Posts