Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,879 Posts
Well... you guys who are making this happen can divvy up costs amongst yourselves.
I just figure, you guys are doing all this work to benefit the community here and being a pretty active and needy community member myself, I'm always happy to help out when I can. I have a little left over from another PP transaction. Can't hurt to put it towards a good cause.

I realize the costs involved aren't whoppers here... but showing appreciation and helping out is always a good thing. Keep up the good work guys. It's greatly appreciated! :beer

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's a true demand for these panels --- unfortunate that the thread has gone dry.

If this helps ?? My son and I cut diamond plate panels early this year, and I'm happy to measure them. You wont get the same detailed curves and specific measurements that Speedy did on post #51 page 3 of this thread. I'd guess mine will only be useful for makers of diamond plate panels where dimensions being a little off won't matter.

A standard-size sheet of diamond plate is 4ft x 8ft and costs between $80-120. A single sheet is enough for both rear trunk panels and extra for other projects.

Still in diamond-plate chrome :

Sprayed gray and added tie-downs that anchor to the Bronco metal frame behind :

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well holy crap. I never got a notification on the thread...?!? Sorry, y'all. I'll check my settings. Somebody even dropped a message on my profile page here -- didn't see that until about 5 minutes ago.

Yes, I still have the templates. It's been 8 months or so since I took them down to get scanned. I know jowens did the files and sent them back but can't remember off-hand where we left off. I'll go look for the files. I think he sent me an updated file and I needed to go double-check the revised measurements against the original panel. If that's all, it shouldn't take much to get it all squared away. I'm really sorry, gang. I just figured there was no interest. Had I not seen the comment on my profile page just now I'd have had no clue you guys were looking.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Went back and looked through the email string with jowens. We left off in July with me going to print out a copy of the revision to check it against the originals. I'll lug my ass over to the print shop down the street and get one made so we can see how close we are. Just to give you an idea of what he put together:

The top cutout is there for the internal spare tire rack. If you don't have one, don't cut that notch. The big square shape up front is the ash tray... same thing here. The two small squares that are side-by-side are where the factory arm rests go.

And the weird-shaped holes are right, by the way. That peanut shape is meant to allow you to "pop" the panels onto the raised plastic studs which should be pegged into your metal support rail. Now that I look at this, maybe we should model the rails, too, since I have a sneaking suspicion that those of you who need panels may also need new supports for one reason or another. I'll dig out my rust-free ones and see how that could be done.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Update:

Got it printed again. We're within 1/4" to 3/4" on all dimensions but there are lines to be adjusted and the lower "peanut" holes are not where they should be. The way it is now, you could use it as a rough pattern and then trim to fit.

That's not what I want to put out to you guys. I have a guy locally who said he can adjust the .DXF file in his spare time within a week, with all the X/Y coordinates correct and the edge dimensions corrected. I'll deliver the panel to him tomorrow. He said it won't be hard to get within 1/16" accuracy -- and THAT'S where I want this to be. (He does SolidWorks drawings for a living -- has done it for 10+ yrs -- so I believe him.)

At that point, you guys can take it to a laser cutting place or just print it out and set it on a sheet of diamond plate and get out the jigsaw. I'd love to see what you guys end up doing.

Pic ('cause it did happen)

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Meant to mention this... when you guys get this done it won't be free. The shop I used to print the file was really helpful but the buggers are expensive. They charged me $2 to print the drawing -- but $15 to plot the file since it was a .DXF and they had to use AutoCAD to plot it first.

I want you guys to get your money's worth - not pay $17 to some shop for something that's "pretty close," and then have to modify it to make it work.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey... I sent you $20 to help get this off the ground, months ago. You gonna charge me again?!?

I do think it's important to get it as close to exact as possible. I'll be folding it out and tracing it to cut myself, so the closer the better. :thumbup

So... originally, I thought this was proposed as a file to get and print out on your own. Is this still the case, or are you going to be sending this out on a folded piece of paper directly?
Don't get me wrong. I'm not asking you for any more money. Your $20 went to the first print (last yr), then I did it again yesterday with the edited version. This one is certainly closer than the first edition. It just needs to be done again to get the final tweaks right.

You WILL be charged by whatever print shop you go to when you print it. I'm not PLANNING to provide prints but I guess I could at the buyer's expense. What I was saying about the $17 to print it was not that I'm gonna charge, but that the print shop you use is going to charge you for it so I'd prefer that what you get be right on the money -- not just close. Guys like you who are gonna print it, cut it out, tape the paper to a piece of hardboard/plywood/diamond plate/sheet metal and reach for the saw need to start with a pretty damn good template. That's been the goal all along. I guess I COULD provide the paper, but in this day and age, it just seems better to pay more or less the same money to run to your local print shop on demand than to wait for my sorry ass to make a print, buy a mailing tube and ship the thing. :toothless

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So my buddy finally sat down and finished the profile on New Year's Eve... don't know what led him to finally do that. At any rate - send me your email address if you want to test it out. I'll send you the plot file. Take it to your local print shop and have them produce the template for you. I'll be very interested in seeing how well it fits. He did say the wheel arch radiuses (radii?) were very challenging because they're not uniform but he got real close. Also, the keyholes to mount it to the lower support frame aren't done yet, nor the ash tray cutout (if you care about that). I can help you triangulate the location for the ash tray and give you dimensions if you want them.

Send me some PMs, and let's see how well it fits.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,879 Posts
worked fine for me. :thumbup Win10, FF (up2date) and the option to choose was "Save Link As"

appreciate honorable mention but it's completely unnecessary man. just glad you got it dialed in and out there. :rockon
sorry I haven't ran it yet. life keeps tossing stuff out there... but when it eventually happens, you'll be among the first to know bud.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Glad it worked for you. I know how life gets in the way (see the various pages of stuff happening during the development), so it's not you I'm addressing. I've sent it to 4 people who requested it and I don't think they've printed any yet. I just want to make sure it works for everyone. :beer

·
Super Moderator
9,590 Posts
You can always take the cad file to a printing place and have them print you a full size copy. Then you can cut it out and test fit it to make sure it fits.

·
Super Moderator
9,590 Posts
all the more reason to have a paper version cut out first. Not everything is too big, sometimes they are WAY TOO SMALL If those are from the templates posted on this site, I helped create them. The original person supplied me a scan of a drawing, I had to scale it, so it could be off. I never knew if anyone ever cut any out and test fitted them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well I sent this with the cad.

That should have allowed them to check the scale of the cad or adjust it as needed, those measurements came from a set of my panels.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts