Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

interior restoration, changing interior color

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BroncMom 
#1 ·
So, carpet, door panels, dash pad. I can find all of those new.

But what about things like the main dash piece, kick panels etc? Cannot find those except Ebay or junkyard, which I would prefer to get new if available.

Or is painting the only other option?

Same for the two wood trim pieces for the gauge cluster and center stack, for the center all I can find is the XLT one, whereas if I replace it (the two screw tabs at the top are broken) I would at least like to replace it with the eddie bauer that it is.

#2 ·
JY is the only option for the dash pieces. There is a dash pad available new, but only in black. What color exactly are you looking for?

I have a near mint 85-86 XLT wood radio bezel if interested. Has the badge and all. I do have an xlt ranger badge for that spot too.

#4 ·
I am planning on switching to black and gray two tone interior. I have found some grey/black gauge and dash bezels instead of the woodgrain, but I may not mind sticking with the woodgrain, saw a picture of one and it provided a nice contrast with a mostly black interior. Right now it is tan.

I Was looking for a picture of the one I'd seen, it was one that has been for sale locally for a long time, but looks like the listing was pulled within the last few days.

#3 ·
Yo Jimmy,
"...Typically interior colors are a vinyl paint in late model vehicles.. Older vehicles with metal interiors use the same paint used on the exterior. Interior colors are not color coded on the vehicle anywhere so you have two choices. You can borrow our color books or you can also go by a body shop with interior color chips and have them tell you what color code you have. Once we know the color code, we can make the paint..."
Source: by paintscratch.com

SEM Vinyl & Plastic, Carpet and Velour Color Coat Application Instructions @
Source: by SEM @ Literature | Training & Resources | SEM Products

ColorBond Application in an 86; "...cleaned the entire thing with purple-power twice. Then I lightly wiped it down with acetone. Then, just to make sure the factory paint did not cause a problem I wiped a section down with acetone until the factory coating was removed and it was down to the bare plastic. This is the lighter area in the picture below. Unfortunately this did lighten the texture a little. Took 5 mist coats to cover. The area with the factory paint removed was harder to coat, making me think it was sinking into the plastic, but sat on top of the factory paint everywhere else. Then again it may have just been the fact that that area was lighter. I let the Color Bond cure for 48 hours and then did a scratch test. I can not scratch it off with my fingernail anywhere and it takes a serious effort to scratch it off using a penny..."
Source: by Gacknar (The Mall-Crawler, Jeremy, "Big grey megga beast") at FSB

VHT Vinyl Dye Application in an 82
Source: by mickaila at FSB

#7 ·
So, carpet, door panels, dash pad. I can find all of those new.
I think the only thing you will find new is the carpet. I saw a guy on E-bay selling Tan door panels in mint condition for $500 each, I sent him an appropriate Best Offer and he told me to eff off. A week later he sold them at full asking. It took me over a year to find a perfect dash pad and at that point I paid what was asked because there are very few alternatives. If I was you I would pick up some scrap interior pieces in the yard and try painting them and see if you're happy with the result..

#8 ·
only things that must be replaced if things can be painted is the carpet, door panels, headliner, and dash pad. So I guess I'll just have to try the painting trick with everything else.

#9 ·
I come across em all the time in the yards in f150s. Never seen a good dash pad of any color. Door panels are the same way, though slightly less brittle. I need a dash pad myself. If you touch the top, it cracks.

I just scored what would be considered 99% mint condition 80 set of woodgrain dash bezels today. Factory two post radio style and the digital clock that goes with it. XLT Ranger badge.

#11 ·
I ended up painting my interior. I used colorbond. It was OK. Its been 3 or 4 years since I painted it and its held up really well everywhere except the top of the dash. I also used their satin clear coat that they say helps protect it from UV. Its definitely not bad. It just looked better when it was freshly painted..If i had it to do over, I would use SEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.