Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what I need to know about changing interior wiring harness on my 96 XL. Does it need to be same year and model? Could I take a F150 XL wiring harness and it work? Any tips on switching? What else I should know about changing wiring harness?
Thanks

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,146 Posts
Hi @Tschooling, welcome to the site..Can't give you any tips other than to say it would be a ton of work, is your current harness trashed? Are you just referring to the dash, or do you want to replace everything from the dash all the way to the back? If you're going XL to XL, they're probably almost identical up to the dome light, beyond that, the Bronco would have a provision for the rear cargo light (not sure if those were in the XLs), and the rear window, defrost and motor..

Reactions: Rspasoje

·
Registered
335 Posts
Unless something is seriously FUBAR, there's not much sense in replacing an entire harness. What's the problem you're trying to solve?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless something is seriously FUBAR, there's not much sense in replacing an entire harness. What's the problem you're trying to solve?
I am missing lots of wiring I know I should have. I bought the bronco a few months ago and I’ve been slowly restoring it. But while doing it I’m finding tons of wires that have been cut and or just missing. Like connection to calibrate my speedometer to the right tire size and the wiring for the cab light. I feel it would be easier to replace then try to figure out the rats nest a previous owner calls wiring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @Tschooling, welcome to the site..Can't give you any tips other than to say it would be a ton of work, is your current harness trashed? Are you just referring to the dash, or do you want to replace everything from the dash all the way to the back? If you're going XL to XL, they're probably almost identical up to the dome light, beyond that, the Bronco would have a provision for the rear cargo light (not sure if those were in the XLs), and the rear window, defrost and motor..
I have tons of wires that are cut and I’m missing wires so I want to replace everything so I could have everything I should. I tried changing the calibration of the Speedometer and I was missing the wires to do so

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have tons of wires that are cut and I’m missing wires so I want to replace everything so I could have everything I should. I tried changing the calibration of the Speedometer and I was missing the wires to do so
Yeah, that's the sort of FUBAR where replacing the harness makes sense...
Generally speaking, the wiring harness of the same trim level or higher will work. A F-150 harness is going to be different enough to not be worth bothering with, same thing with a different year Bronco, which might have the exact same connectors in the exact same places, but Ford decided "LOL, we're gonna move the pins around!"

Reactions: reptillikus

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,013 Posts
@Rspasoje is right on the money. 96 is OBD-II so you cant use anything older. Cant use F150 either as they are wired radically different. So youre limited to 96 bronco only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.