Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'90 302HO AOD. Replaced orig. motor w/93 GT 5.0L - I put this motor in 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Only using the GT block and heads with Crane 2020 cam & the truck upper & lower intakes. Ever since putting in the new motor I've had a miss. I could drive 5 mins and it would cut out, sometimes once, sometimes severely. It will stall comepletely at times. This happens at start up, idle, part throttle, full throttle, cruising, under load, in park...........just not all the time! The tach guage goes to zero when it cuts out. I have followed the Haynes manual for checking the PIP, SPOUT, and ICM. The distributor is 1 year old. I recently converted to mass air w/A9L ECU. This is the 3rd computor I've put in since the problem. When the miss occurs I unplug the spout at the distributor and it runs much better! There are far fewer misses, and if it stalled & no start, I unplug the spout and it starts up again. T he motor kicks ass when running with the spout, but misses and stalls all the time. This symptom has to be connected to something, but I can't find it!
Timing is set at 10 BTDC. I also get code 14 - intermittent loss of PIP signal, but the PIP and SPOUT shows proper voltage on engine crank. Could the transmission or emissions cause the cutout?
PLEASE HELP!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Sounds like a loose or broken wire. Maybe the pick up coil/stator in the dizzy is going bad. I have genuine Motorcraft dizzy parts(all the parts). I can get you a stator for $7 shipped if you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Any way to test? I follow the book tests for PIP, SPOUT, and ICM. The dist. and ICM are only 1 yr old. MORE INFO - I tried my test light on pip & spout with engine crank - no light at all...but my vom shows 5.5 - 6 volts during cranking like in my haynes book. My test light works, but didn't even show a dim light during cranking. Of course, this is an intermittent problem, but happens every time I drive. ALSO - get code 14 (pip) 85 & 33 (emissions) on KOEO and codes 94 & 44 (emissions) and 18 (spout) on KOER. New parts in last year & a half...EGR valve & sensor, dist. and ICM, ECT, TPS, ISC-BPA solenoid. Could TAB or TAD or EVR cause this? EGR stuck open? Or should I concentrate on ignition and dist.? Thanks again, will post more info as I keep retesting...this is now as much an obsession as a quest!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick note...put in a new stator assy. last nite. Set timing & it ran perfect for 25 mls. Got off the freeway and it started cutout again. Now it seems to start when rpm drops below 1500. And the search continues.....
Did another scan...code 14 gone. Here's what I got.
KOEO - 85
KOER - 94 44 33
Now it runs even worse with SPOUT plug in. Barely idles and misses at all rpm.
Take SPOUT plug out and it idles and runs good...just no spark advance w/o SPOUT. Engine pulls 20hg vacuum. cylinder check passed. Think I can rule out fuel, plugs, plug wires, stator, icm, ect, and ignition switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1994 Bronco with 5.8 motor. Recently I have been experiencing an intermittent stalling while driving. The tach drops to zero and the motor restarts quickly on its own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts