Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 1993 5.8 liter Bronco has developed a weird problem...

After driving for an hour or two, the truck will start misfiring badly, and stall. If I put my foot down harder on the gas, nothing happens, just more backfires.

If I pull off the road and let it sit turned off for 10 minutes or so, the truck will fire right up afterwords and drive for another hour or so.

I took it to shop, and they couldn't pull any codes (the check engine light does not come on) The changed a the fuel filter, but basically said they couldn't find anything wrong

I picked up the truck, and the next day it did the same thing. I don't know what to do. The cap, rotor, plugs and wires are all new. The fuel pump does seem too loud, and my experienced mechanic friend said he thought is was the fuel pump going.

Any guesses? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If the fuel pump is whining thats a good thing. Means it's working. It is normal to hear them on these trucks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They should have been able to pull codes, if all passed then they would get a 111. Try pulling the codes by searching for the How To. The next step you can do is get a Haynes Manual and go through Chapter 4 and test the senors to see if they are good. Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) and see if it's still good.

I'm assuming the water temperature is fine when it starts to stall? No extra play in the clutch fan? No vacuum leaks?

It sounds like something is causing the computer to advance the timing a little to much causing it stall it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it's going to another shop tomorrow, I'm on a road trip with it, so I don't really have provisions to do much of the work myself. Thanks. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks, Graham

·
Registered
258 Posts
All you need is a paper clip to check the codes and just count the flashes. Then you can report back to us so we can help you. Or you can go to AutoZone and ask them to check it for free.

We need more info to help with more than what has been suggested.

·
Registered
204 Posts
could be low fuel pressure, i dont believe the pump should whine at all. does it do it while at idle or while driving at cruising speeds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts