Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently (within the last week), we've had several rainstorms here in NC. And in the most recent one, I realized that only about 1/3 of the speed settings on my intermittent wipers work. And every time I switch from one speed to another, I hear a "clicking" sound somewhere in the passenger side footwell. Anybody have any ideas on this one? I'm beginning to think I need to go after the dealership I bought my Bronco from with the NC Lemon Law...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The problem is a build up of crap inside the end of the turn signal stalk where you turn the knob to activate the intermittent wipers. That entire piece is called a MFS (multi function switch) it works the wipers, high/low beams, flash to pass, emergency flashers, and turn signal.

When I had the same problem as you, what I did was to squirt a few good shots of electrical contact cleaner into the gap between the shift stalk and the knob on the end of it. Then I would twist the knob for the wipers back and forth quickly a few times and then give it some more contact cleaner until all the crap is douched out.
This cured the problem, and the MFS is working like new.....bad thing is that I bought a new switch before I decided to try and clean the old one.....so now I have the original one that has been in my truck working fine, and a brand new in the box one sitting on my parts shelf!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. What exactly is electrical contact cleaner, and where can I get it? Do they sell it at like Autozone? I hope this helps, I'm getting a little tired of the nit-picky BS problems with this Bronco, as much as I love it.

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Try de-natured alcohol. A good solvent that doesn't leave residue. I use it to clean inside my PC and the keyboard all the time. A couple bucks in any hardware store.

Otherwise, try Radio Shack.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Instead of just spraying it in the small gap between the knob and the lever, you can instead pry off the end of it to access a philips screw holding the knob onto the stalk. This will allow you to thoroughly clean the contact pieces, which are nothing more than very thin copper-based metal. I took mine apart, gently sanded the contacts, and sprayed out the gookies surrounding them. It works like (and now feels like) a brand-new switch. Be warned, the lever DOES have a spring in it, so keep a hand on it when loosening the philips screw.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Instead of just spraying it in the small gap between the knob and the lever, you can instead pry off the end of it to access a philips screw holding the knob onto the stalk. This will allow you to thoroughly clean the contact pieces, which are nothing more than very thin copper-based metal. I took mine apart, gently sanded the contacts, and sprayed out the gookies surrounding them. It works like (and now feels like) a brand-new switch. Be warned, the lever DOES have a spring in it, so keep a hand on it when loosening the philips screw.
My MFS started acting up recently. Thank you SigEpBlue...that bit about the cap and springs was most helpful. :thumbup

·
Registered
313 Posts
Also, definetly try silicone spray. That is safe for almost anything electrical, and it will stop squeaks, lubricate, and clean and help the contacts inside the switch. Try it anywhere! Doors, rear window track, seat tracks, and your MFS! It's my favorite fix-it-all.

:beer

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts