Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my DVD player died, and I upgraded to a blu-ray player with a gaming console attached - a PS3. I got the 60gb version because it has 100% backward compatibility with all the previous games, and with both my wife and I being novice gamers, I figured the large variety of games still available for the PS2, and the large 2nd hand market, would be a good way to get introduced to gaming.

My question is, what ps2/ps3 games would be good "trainer" games for someone just starting out? I play a little on the pc - mostly mouse-controlled games, but I haven't done much shooter games (although I did play "Return to Wolfenstein" some); my favorites have been Adventure story/puzzle games like Syberia, The Longest Journey, Moment of Silence, Tunguska...

My wife does things like Zuma, Mahjong, Tetris, some object search games - mostly just brainless stuff to relax.

At the moment, I still have a standard TV set - no hi-def yet - so "super awesome realism" isn't that important. I'd like to play some adventure stories or shooters that are more story oriented than techno-multi-weapon switch-on-the-fly-while-doing-back-flips types.

:popc1:

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just had a thought. Aren't there places that rent games? Am I remembering right, that they do that at Blockbusters? (I haven't used my BB card in months!)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yes, blockbuster rents games. Walmart usually also has a bin in the back with old cheap games in it but I'm not sure how many PS2 games you'll find in there anymore. I have seen some PS3 sports games for like $20 in there also. I use Gamefly but that might not be worth it for you. $20 a month for unlimited game rentals 2 at a time and no due dates. I think they have a lower plan. I think BB also has something similar. It is a good way to get to try out current generation games (ie PS3 games) but if you are really only interested in old games you might as well buy them since they can be had for dirt cheap anywhere they sell used games. Even brand new they don't normally go above $20.

The only PS2 game I play is Socom. Take your pick of which one (there are 4 of them) but Socom: Combined Assault is the newest one... At least until the PS3 Socom comes out. It is only single player on a given console (multiplayer and co-op across the net though for free) so it won't work if you want something you can play with your wife. I have several friends and a brother I play with online so that's mainly what makes it fun.

Edit: oh and x2 on the hdtv thing. It is absurd how much better it looks. It is a complete waste of money to dump that much on a PS3 and not have hdtv.

Edit, edit...: I'd also check out the arcade games that you can download online. I don't know how the PS3 works but XBox Live Arcade is where I'd send a "novice" gamer to get use to the 360. Maybe people with PS3's can chime in on some free downloadable games/trials for you. Flow is the only one I've heard of but from the looks of it it definitely matches the "brainless stuff to relax" requirement.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
yeah, BB rents games

It's been a long time since I've played a game...I have too many damn hobbies...

I don't have a PS3, but I think I have the same taste as you (adventure, etc). That Uncharted, Drake's Fortune game looks good.

Grand Theft Auto 4 is coming out soon; it's supposed to be great.

You could probably pick up either Grand Theft Auto Vice City (80's Miami setting) or San Andreas (90's California setting) for $20. They are good, open ended games where you can follow a story, or do little side things like drive 18 wheelers, cabs, firetrucks, etc. You can do pretty much everything from pimping to running an ambulance. It's on a lot of people's shit list for a reason though; it can be really violent and there's a ton of rough language/themes.

God of War was a really good game. It basically wraps up a lot of Greco-Roman mythology into a story for a fun platforming game.

Resident Evil 4 was one of my all time favorite games. It has a pretty good story and nice game play.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is an excellent game. It's set in the Cold War; you're a lone secret agent dropped behind enemy lines with little to no gear and a mission to recover a scientist working on a super-weapon. Obviously, that goes to hell and the game blooms into much more. There is a good bit of science-fiction stuff (like "Boss" enemies with supernatural abilities), but it's a great game IMO. I really recommend picking this one up. The gameplay is a lot of fun; you have to change camouflage, treat your wounds, find food, etc. The dialog ranges from impressive (for a game) to cheesy fun too :toothless

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BB does rent. ALSO, why do you have a ps3 and blue ray with a standard def TV?
Planning ahead. :thumbup I needed a new player; Blu-ray is compatible with regular DVDs, and I'm ready to enjoy the hi-def when I need to upgrade the TV.

Plus, it'll help in the argument with the wife when that time comes. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love playing just about anything.
If you like the thinking end of things aim for anything in the Myst series.

Hack and slash for for Final Fantasy stuff (a little over hyped for me, but still good)

Other then that, I stick to sports other then racing....never understood racing as driving around in a circle gets a little old.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[....] Flow is the only one I've heard of but from the looks of it it definitely matches the "brainless stuff to relax" requirement.
:thumbup on the Flow game; that's one that I use to relax.

I discovered the flash version of Flow last year while Stumbling online, and got sucked in for several hours; I forgot to bookmark it, and, without knowing it's name, I couldn't find it again. I saw an ad for the console game a couple of weeks back and realized that it was the same one; searched, and found it right away. :toothless I'll bet a full-screen console version is much better.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
My favs:

God of War and God of War II
Gran Turismo series
Devil May Cry series
Syphon Filter series (the omega strain sucks, but the previous 3 are fun)
Metal Gear Solid series
Final Fantasy series (definitely check out VII and X)

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Well the cool thing about the PS3 is it has the PS Store. You can download quite a bit of demos to include Drake's and Devil May Cry 4. I would think you would like those games.

Also for more older Metal Gear Solid, MGS 2, and then 3. 4 will be out before too much longer. Final Fantasy 12 was pretty good. Only one I have been able to get into. The old Syphon Filter games were all good. These are all story based strategy/action/sneak games for the most part. Takes a lot of thought but you can get into the story good too.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Well the cool thing about the PS3 is it has the PS Store. You can download quite a bit of demos to include Drake's and Devil May Cry 4. I would think you would like those games.

Also for more older Metal Gear Solid, MGS 2, and then 3. 4 will be out before too much longer. Final Fantasy 12 was pretty good. Only one I have been able to get into. The old Syphon Filter games were all good. These are all story based strategy/action/sneak games for the most part. Takes a lot of thought but you can get into the story good too.
I'm just glad DMC4 came out on the 360 as well, if not I would of had to buy a PS3:toothless

Syphon filter, to me, was an awesome series and brought me back into video games in the late 90s. Just make sure to adjust your resolution and play on a large screen.....I remember getting lost is the jungle because my screen was too small and I couldn't figure out where the hell I was going (Also a problem on the Metal Gear Solid seires....probably one of the only games that I ever gave up on because it was too hard.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I'm just glad DMC4 came out on the 360 as well, if not I would of had to buy a PS3:toothless

Syphon filter, to me, was an awesome series and brought me back into video games in the late 90s. Just make sure to adjust your resolution and play on a large screen.....I remember getting lost is the jungle because my screen was too small and I couldn't figure out where the hell I was going (Also a problem on the Metal Gear Solid seires....probably one of the only games that I ever gave up on because it was too hard.
I only gave up on MGS3. But I am going to try again before 4 comes out. I want to ensure I dont miss anything in the story.

Now 1 and 2 are different, I beat 1 in about 2ish weeks. 2nd one I started the game at 7am one saturday and beat it 7 hours later. I had nothing better to do that day.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I only gave up on MGS3. But I am going to try again before 4 comes out. I want to ensure I dont miss anything in the story.

Now 1 and 2 are different, I beat 1 in about 2ish weeks. 2nd one I started the game at 7am one saturday and beat it 7 hours later. I had nothing better to do that day.
MGS3 was the one I quit as well, I bought it the day it came out, played it that night and got so frustrated that I traded it in the next day.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
A lot of the games out are very intense and have a long learning curve.... I suck at games but there are a couple of them (PS2) that I would recommend...

1. Mark Of Kri - Story oriented, slower moving, easy game play, fun. Only hard part is getting used to the way you attack your enemies, and there are a couple of hard parts to get past. Probly my overall favorite PS2 game.

2. Lord of the Rings (the second game, cant remember the exact name) - Story oriented (duh), hack and slash. Pretty easy but intense game play. Easy to learn but somewhat hard to get through with all of the enemies.

3. Space Invaders - Updated for PS2. Very basic with some twists. Fun to just kill some time, your wife would probly like and you can play 2 player.

You can also get some "packages" that have a bunch of old school arcade games loaded onto them.... pacman and such.

Games like Socom, Devil May Cry and those are just too much for me... I dont have patience or time to learn all the moves or levels so I get pissed and quit....

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I'm one for non-linear games for GTA has always been my favorite. In fact I played it yesterday again because American Idol was recording on the DVR. It's still fun to just hop on a bike and go for a nice long police chase. Or grab a tank and wreak havoc on San Franciso.

The other game that I did enjoy was Destroy all Humans, but that one only lasted until the end of the game.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's here, it's here!! :chili:

I sort of got it set up with my receiver, using what I have around; that means using the supplied AV cable, and only having stereo sound. Unfortunately, while I bought an HDMI cable to hook my computer into my parents hi-def tv up in Oregon, neither my tv nor reciever have an input for it, so I'll have to get or order a component cable. I do have an optical input on my receiver, so I can get 5.1 with that; although I do have a 7.1 receiver, apparently the ps3's optical output doesn't support it.

...and I thought I needed a line to the router. It came with a Cat.6 cable that's about 8 feet long; that wouldn't have worked. The router is on the other side of the room; I need 50 feet to go up through the ceiling, over to the other wall, and down to the router. Then I remembered the wireless capabilities. :toothless I got that dialed in, and it's doing a system update right now as I type.

So, it looks like an optical line and a ps3 component line, a "normal" remote to play video (the controller's a pain to use), and I'll be set. Of course, I'll probably eventually get a mouse and keyboard to leave on the coffee table, after I go hi-def big screen. :toothless

I wonder if I can use any keyboard. I have a wireless keyboard with joystick-mouse that has a usb powered receiver; I gonna try it out.... yup, it works.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I just use a USB dell keyboard with mine...but that is only when needing to type things. Never used a mouse with one.

I have an optical audio line you can have man. just give me your addy and I will mail it out Mon or tuesday.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just use a USB dell keyboard with mine...but that is only when needing to type things. Never used a mouse with one.

I have an optical audio line you can have man. just give me your addy and I will mail it out Mon or tuesday.
Using the joy-stick for setting up my account was a pain, I'll have to see if I have an extra mouse laying around to see what it's like. Wait a minute. My laptop mouse is cordless; I'll try it! :doh0715:

Thanks for the offer, but I found an optical line at Fry's for $10 last night.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm playing "Call of Duty 3" solo on the easiest level right now, and I'm dyin' here, big time!! This is the first time I've played a shooter on the PS3, and my first shooter since "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" on the PC several years ago as well; it's very humbling. :banghead:banghead

1 - 20 of 22 Posts