Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan, I've been a Ford guy for a long time.

Currently, my stable includes an 87 5.0, an '03 BMW, and an '03 F350.

I love my F350, but I only use it to buy groceries and the maintenance costs are killing me. It's in the shop right now getting $3500 worth of transmission work done, and I'm fed up with it.

On of my possible plans is to sell it and buy an older Bronco to use as a DD around time, with a couple of trips a year out to the lake. I've got a couple for sale close by.

I realize these vehicles are 20 years old, and everyone's experiences will be different, but how reliable do you find your Bronco's to be? It seems that with a standard EEC-IV engine and AOD tranny that they should be reliable and cheap to fix, but perhaps that is not the case.

I'd love your opinions.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well as long as you don't wheel the piss out of it and break a bunch or parts it will last forever, given proper maintenence. Bronco's share all the drivetrain peices as ford trucks so they really don't last any shorter or longer. It will be plenty reliable.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
My 86 is a stock 302 EFI-EEC-IV with PCM and an AOD transmission and when I first purchased my BKO I really didn't know much about FSB's or fuel injection for that matter but thanks to this site in particular and a reasonable amount wrenching skills I had aquired over the years.....lol lol.....there isn't much I can't do now, to include swapping in an entirely new engine, up and running by myself.....

EFI= electronic fuel injection and EEC = electronic engine control with PCM = power control module, the trucks computer.....

The BKO has 2 Test connectors located over on the right inside fender area off the harness, mine are red and tan...with a Ford Code Reader which run around $35.00 you can retrive fault codes thru KOEO= key on engine off and KOER = key on engine running indicating what's going either electrically, electronically or internally with the engine and emisisons system....

Learning "parts" terminology is a big plus along with the different types of electronic sensors that control various aspects at cold start, normal operation and emissions etc. just to name a few but in order to really understand all of this.

I would start by getting a Haynes Repair Manual, our BIBLE as well as learning to navigate the "search" located above which will lead you to thousands of discussion threads on ANY Bronco problem that arises......it might take a while to wade thru TONS of threads looking for an answer BUT it's FREE and so much cheaper then handing the BKO over to a mechanic.....keep in mind many of these BKO's range from 14 -32 years old so you've got to develope some patience but when a problem comes up with up your BKO, now you've got great support from this site via the "search", Haynes Repair Manual and "first hand advice" from all of us here who have already encountered more then our share of PITA problems......lol lol.......but you can easily make these vehicles reliable DD, that's what mine is and I wouldn't sell or trade it now for the world....

You don't have to break the bank getting a ton of tools but some basic tools will get you thru most issues.....AND you don't have to fix or rebuild it over night....lol lol

So enjoy, make new friends like I've done and have at it.......

Additional help info sources: www.fordfuleinjection.com and www.broncolinks.com.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the responses. This is actually what I was hoping to hear.

I'm well-versed in fixing my Fords and the EEC-IV, having owned my Mustang since 1994. It broke down too, but it was always easy for me to fix. I thought that other Fords from the same era might be similar.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
there are no real "weak links" in any years or configurations of the bronco, they are quite easy to work on, and the parts are plentiful and inexpensive. solid parts, and easily serviceable = reliability in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
there are no real "weak links" in any years or configurations of the bronco, they are quite easy to work on, and the parts are plentiful and inexpensive. solid parts, and easily serviceable = reliability in my opinion.
CORRECT, Its ALL in the OWNER !!!

U play u Pay

I never play so never pay..............................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts