Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sick of my open diff and am looking into spools. Is it worth it for a truck that spends half of the time on road? How much does it effect tire ware?
thanks
dave

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea but most of my off road time is in the mud, my truck always is the jole because of the "one wheel peel"

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't spool it if spends most of the time on the road....your tires will be bald in no time.

if you're not running big tires invest some money into a $260 quick lock that way all the money you spent on your rubber isn't all wasted on the pavement

minispool the front.....your front dif don't spin when your driving down the road in 2wd w/lockouts off neways

That'll help alot in the mud......you might not be able to steer very well with the front locked but at least you won't be stuck......you'll be really stuck

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
A spool on a dd rig or a rig that sees a lot of street can be done but it sucks. I have a broken rear quick lock. It acts as a spool, it does not let the rear tires ratchet. This causes them to drag when turnning any type of corner. I went through a set of MTR's is about 20K miles because of this.
I would save some money and go with a quick lock (lunch box) at the minimum, for the sake of your tires.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I have a mini-spool up front and like it better than the lunch box locker I use to have. The spool is quieter, and there are no moving parts to break.

If only the front is spooled w/a LS or open rear, steering isn't bad at all. Spooled F & R, steering is a bitch.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If it's going in an 8.8, I'd skip the mini and go for a locker. I had one in my F150 and when I pulled it out I found out it started chunking, there's pix of it in my Supermotors page. I loved it, and yes tires virtually disintegrate. If you're going up front, PHASE THE U-JOINTs. It's rather quite unbelievable how much difference it'll make steering.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
jrdbronco said:
basically, spools rule. no moving parts to break, and with a full spool, you'll break a shaft before you break the spool
I have recently joined this club. Amazing how simple and stong a spool is. If you're going to spool anything, go with a full spool, not a mini. Not much more $$ and virtually indestructable.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
daverbmxer said:
By phasing the u-joints do you simply mean aligning the splines the correct way?
Basically. So instead of just throwing it together and have all your u-joints look like this: +x+/++x/xx+ (you get the idea), they all look like this: +++/xxx. Whether or not the middle joint makes a difference I can't tell you, but phasing does help steering.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how bad would steering be locked rear mini spooled front?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how hard would it be to swap axles if i kept an 8.8?
All i want is something so that both wheels spin,
i think a ls might work.
Or a Detroit True Trac limited slip is said to be good, could i put that in an open diff carrier?
dave

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to weld it what do you actually weld?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
broncoorboat said:
how hard would it be to swap axles if i kept an 8.8?
All i want is something so that both wheels spin,
i think a ls might work.
Or a Detroit True Trac limited slip is said to be good, could i put that in an open diff carrier?
dave
Currently my '150 is sporting a LSD in the back and mini spool up front, so far I haven't had any problems out of the combination. Nice and friendly on the street, easily driven in ice/snow and tire wear is normal....fortunately it will all end whenever I decide to pull the Detroit out of the F250 and get another Sterling for it to go in.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
could i put an oem ls in an open carrier though?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
No, the factory Ford LSD is the carrier.

There are supposed to be some "lunchbox" LSD's though. Powertrax is supposed to have one, but I don't remember what it's called (not the Lock-Right...that one is a locker).

If you haven't already, I suggest reading this thread: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1544&highlight=mini+spool
Tons of good info/reading in there.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
PowerTraxx has versions of their "lunchbox" lockers that will fit in the ls case. The problem is that the 8.8 ls case and track lok d44 case aren't the strongest cases. This converts a stock ls to a locker though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.