Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was thinking about if a SAS would be worth it for me. I want to have a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. This bronco would be my dd and I would very rarely go offroading with it. If I did go off road, it would be nothing serious at all. Maybe some muddy trails or something like that. From a price and time standpoint, do you think it is worth it for me? I can lift a bronco no problem but a SAS seems like a much more daunting task and I don't know if I am that mechanically savvy to do a good job.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
With 37" tires, you're already exceeding the recommended max size for the 8.8 and D44 axles, so an axle swap could be likely anyway.

You may survive for quite a while with light wheeling, but if you start breaking things the SAS to a stronger axle starts making sense.

That said, the TTB is fine for general wheeling and will serve 90+% of owners reliably.

The SAS is an expensive endeavor so make sure you need it before you plunge in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With 37" tires, you're already exceeding the recommended max size for the 8.8 and D44 axles, so an axle swap could be likely anyway.

You may survive for quite a while with light wheeling, but if you start breaking things the SAS to a stronger axle starts making sense.

That said, the TTB is fine for general wheeling and will serve 90+% of owners reliably.

The SAS is an expensive endeavor so make sure you need it before you plunge in.
Thanks for actually answering my question. Its hard to get a straight answer on this forum sometimes.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Hey guys I was thinking about if a SAS would be worth it for me. I want to have a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. This bronco would be my dd and I would very rarely go offroading with it. If I did go off road, it would be nothing serious at all. Maybe some muddy trails or something like that. From a price and time standpoint, do you think it is worth it for me? I can lift a bronco no problem but a SAS seems like a much more daunting task and I don't know if I am that mechanically savvy to do a good job.
plenty of guys on here have done the SAS swap and are happy, and plenty have kept the TTB and it serves them just fine..you have to decide what you want..don't do it just because..

Case in point, I got caught up in the SAS fever and "had" to do it when it was the in thing..looking back in hindsight, I might have been better served just keeping the TTB...don't get me wrong, the SAS is cool, there is something to be said for it's simplicity, and you don't have the same TTB alignment problems. That said, there are other things that make the SAS a little less forgiving in the ride department..you can compensate for that but it can take time working out the bugs..

Then there is the cost, are you able to do the fab work for the SAS yourself, sure there are kits, but they cost upwards as twice as much as a really nice TTB lift, or more..

As far as reliability, I'm running 37 inch swampers on a D44 with the 8.8 rear that's locked and haven't broken anything..it's all in the way you drive it..if you beat on anything, I don't care how well it's built you can still break s**t..

Based on what you've said, I'd drop the $$ on a nice TTB lift and call it a day..I think you'd be happy with that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plenty of guys on here have done the SAS swap and are happy, and plenty have kept the TTB and it serves them just fine..you have to decide what you want..don't do it just because..

Case in point, I got caught up in the SAS fever and "had" to do it when it was the in thing..looking back in hindsight, I might have been better served just keeping the TTB...don't get me wrong, the SAS is cool, there is something to be said for it's simplicity, and you don't have the same TTB alignment problems. That said, there are other things that make the SAS a little less forgiving in the ride department..you can compensate for that but it can take time working out the bugs..

Then there is the cost, are you able to do the fab work for the SAS yourself, sure there are kits, but they cost upwards as twice as much as a really nice TTB lift, or more..

As far as reliability, I'm running 37 inch swampers on a D44 with the 8.8 rear that's locked and haven't broken anything..it's all in the way you drive it..if you beat on anything, I don't care how well it's built you can still break s**t..

Based on what you've said, I'd drop the $$ on a nice TTB lift and call it a day..I think you'd be happy with that.
Thanks for your input. I think I'm just going to stick with 35s and not do a SAS that way if I want to go wheeling a weekend I wont be as worried about breaking stuff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of my wheeling buddies still rocks the TTB on 38 boggers, does fine, just has to carry a ton of spare parts. The TTB will never give you those cool poser flex shots and 37s will probably chew the joints up quick but I think it's viable in the short term.
Damn what kind of lift does he have?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Thanks for your input. I think I'm just going to stick with 35s and not do a SAS that way if I want to go wheeling a weekend I wont be as worried about breaking stuff.
I'm always looking at tire prices, there is a big jump going from 35's to 37's, so you'll save a couple hundred dollars on a set.

·
Registered
446 Posts
One of my wheeling buddies still rocks the TTB on 38 boggers, does fine, just has to carry a ton of spare parts. The TTB will never give you those cool poser flex shots and 37s will probably chew the joints up quick but I think it's viable in the short term.
Same here. I have known many guys through the years that ran ttb with 38"ish swampers, gumbos, boggers, etc. Most did surprisingly well in terms of durability.

I will say this was all Florida swamp muddin' not extreme trail/rock crawl action.

As far as lift, most were 6" suspension/3" body (which I don't recommend) and some fender massaging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm always looking at tire prices, there is a big jump going from 35's to 37's, so you'll save a couple hundred dollars on a set.
I actually wasnt even thinking about that and you are right haha

Same here. I have known many guys through the years that ran ttb with 38"ish swampers, gumbos, boggers, etc. Most did surprisingly well in terms of durability.

I will say this was all Florida swamp muddin' not extreme trail/rock crawl action.

As far as lift, most were 6" suspension/3" body (which I don't recommend) and some fender massaging.
I would never do a body lift

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

This is some very good info here. I have debated for years with going with a SAS. Matter of fact I have all the parts just havent had time to put them in.

So i keep running my 3" lifted, locked, 35" tire TTB. It has been fine. It always aligns to specs and my tires aren't showing any sign of unusual wear. I have wheeled mine pretty hard in the past (mostly muddy rocky trails). The key for me is knowing when to get off the skinny petal to keep things alive. I still debate going to a SA 44 as in my opinion it is only mildly stronger than the TTB. Sure it can be built to be stronger but at that point you may as well go with a D60. I am now thinking I may just look for some extended R/As and better coils and leafs and call my done.

If your only going to run a open diff and 35's and rarely see offroad. I would find or build a good TTB setup and be done with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is some very good info here. I have debated for years with going with a SAS. Matter of fact I have all the parts just havent had time to put them in.
...I am now thinking I may just look for some extended R/As and better coils and leafs and call my done.
If you wanna offload some of those now useless SAS parts, hit me up ;)

Really tho, I had a little ranger that had the TTB setup and it never did me wrong off-road (expect in sand, that little effer could not handle sand). I personally swapped for the bigger truck and the SAS project because I am a huge sucker for trucks that "just need a little love" plus, the little 2.3 in my Ranger was getting tired and the 5.0 was calling my name.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Is it worth it? Depends. If you can go somewhere with the SAS you couldnt go with the TTB, it might be worth it. Will it look better? Damn right it will. Will you have issues? Your damn with you will. Is it expensive? Damn right it is. If none of that bothers you, its worth it!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts