Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. My bronco is a 1990 EFI 5.0 with the Mazda 5 speed.

Yo, I've heard about people advancing the timing a bit to get a little extra oomph.

Is this bad for long term longevity? Would you recommend for or against this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
347 Posts
You have a speed density EFI in your 1990 and that system works best within it’s designed parameters, meaning if you monkey with the engine too much , the Computer can’t compensate for it and it’ll run like crap.

With the low power numbers these old trucks put out, I don’t think you’ll notice one way or the other, but if you want, and have a timing light handy, give it a try. I’d do it in 2 degree increments but I wouldn’t advance it too much past 15-16 degrees...10 is factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,609 Posts
This link talks about what has become known as "The Sixlitre Tune-up", which includes a timing bump. Some of the parts brands recommend have changed over the years. Read deeper into the thread before choosing parts.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
347 Posts
This link talks about what has become known as "The Sixlitre Tune-up", which includes a timing bump. Some of the parts brands recommend have changed over the years. Read deeper into the thread before choosing parts.
Great write up, a really excellent point made deep into it about the balancer being accurate and that the timing marks hadn’t “slipped on the rubber”.
I got a new balancer when I rebuilt my engine for this purpose, also I had a hint of groove on it from riding on the crank seal and I didn’t want any leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts