Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I tell if my dana 44 is a high pinion? I know it it out of an early 80's jeep cherokee(2 door wagoneer style).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Only Ford D44's where HP. If it's out of a Cherokee it'll be a Dana 30, but if its out of a full size Wagoneer it'll a low pinion D44.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,571 Posts
Yup - seems like only Ford had Hi-Pinion axles. Much stronger in forward gears, not as strong in reverse gears. Lo-Pinion is better in reverse gears, weaker in forward gears... I drive forward more then I drive backwards - Hi-Pinion just makes sense.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Yup - seems like only Ford had Hi-Pinion axles. Much stronger in forward gears, not as strong in reverse gears. Lo-Pinion is better in reverse gears, weaker in forward gears... I drive forward more then I drive backwards - Hi-Pinion just makes sense.
I'd be more interested in the nice height advantage of the driveshaft than possible strength. Driveshaft stays up higher on the high pinion, and the angularity as you lift the truck is much better starting higher.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I know it is a D44 cause it is stamped all over it. I am sure it is a low pinion from what has been said here. I am not sure what it came out of but i spent an hour in the JY looking at wagoneers and the only one I saw with a left side diff was a cherokee. but it was the full size type basically a 2 door wagoneer. Anyway thanks lots. I am probably not going to use the housing but it was a really good deal.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,571 Posts
The early Bronco D44's were low pinion - could be one of those. It is narrow and low pinion - only Ford D44 that I can think of that is Lo-Pinion....

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Mid to early 70's f series axle were low pinion also.
that's right. '76 highboy F250 with leaf D44 was also low pinion as I recall, whereas you move to the '78 F250 leaf (HD) 44 and it's high pinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.