4,003 Posts
Or you could just join the 21st century and buy some Torx heads. :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,709 Posts

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
Looks like you just want to replace the seatbelt bolts with non-Torx. I dont think I would use something else for liability issues. If something happened, and I didnt have a choice I would go with Grade 8 or special order from ARP or Midwest Acorn Nut.

I would just bite the bullet and but a set of Torx sockets.

I didnt care for 2 issues in Froggmans tech write-up.

1) The Torx are not Tamperproof Torx, those are different as they have a pin in the middle of the star. Those require a different set of Torx with a hole in the center. I have seen any tamperproof ones on my Bronco. They are generally used on electronic components.

2) If the seatbelt bolt takes a T-60 (?) on a later model Bronco, I sure wouldnt use a smaller size just b/c it fits in the head. It would be like using a 9/16 open end on a 1/2 head bolt. Why risk damage to the fastener b/c you dont have the correct size :doh0715:

one caveat: my Bronco is an 89 vs the later 92 up with the belts high and the 3rd eye

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just buy the tamperproof Torx the first time around and you'll be able to use them for the non tamperproof too. I got a complete set up to I think T-60 or 65 for 7 bucks at one of the tents at a local fair. They work just fine for what I need

·
ford freak
731 Posts
taking it off is no problem. putting it back on is not too fun.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Just remember those bolts go into flimsy captured nuts

First time I took mine off I was warned not to over do the un-torquing. If you bust one of them nuts you'll have a hell of a time getting the bolt out.

Once I had them all out I tapped and died them and loaded all threads in anti-seize.

Now I can have all the hardware off in minutes flat

Sixlitre

p.s./
It would really pay you to find a T-50 in 1/2" drive for the seat belt bolts. Takes all the work out of it

and for heaven's sake bag all that impossible to find hardware and tape the bag to the removable top

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I didnt care for 2 issues in Froggmans tech write-up.

1) The Torx are not Tamperproof Torx, those are different as they have a pin in the middle of the star. Those require a different set of Torx with a hole in the center. I have seen any tamperproof ones on my Bronco. They are generally used on electronic components.
On my generation of Bronco they are.

2) If the seatbelt bolt takes a T-60 (?) on a later model Bronco, I sure wouldnt use a smaller size just b/c it fits in the head. It would be like using a 9/16 open end on a 1/2 head bolt. Why risk damage to the fastener b/c you dont have the correct size :doh0715:
15+ removals since then and still hasn't been an issue with either size Torx. Also compare the two before you say anything. T-50 is very close to the T-60 size. It's like the diffrence between 1/2 and 13mm.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
i replaced all mine with hex heads...i have the Torxbits but its still alot easier with hex....IMO

·
Registered
172 Posts
i hate to admit it but i havent even had bolts in it for about a year now. i have wheeled with it and drive it everyother day never had a problem with it moving. i left it like that because everychance i get i take it off and the weather in east tn is kinda unpredictable 40 at 9am 70 by noon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i hate to admit it but i havent even had bolts in it for about a year now. i have wheeled with it and drive it everyother day never had a problem with it moving. i left it like that because everychance i get i take it off and the weather in east tn is kinda unpredictable 40 at 9am 70 by noon.

Yeah, I had a 85 in high school that I left the bolts out of for a couple years and never had a problem.

HOWEVER!!, If you were to get in a wreck and kill someone because it wasn't secured. ????

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I will bite.... how do you keep the top on?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts