Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original ignition cylinder in my 78 is getting sticky. I got a new key cut but that didn't solve the issue.

I replaced it with a NOS cylinder but was wondering if there is a way to rekey the new cylinder so I can use the original key ?

I have seen the thread where it can be done on new models but wondering if it is possible on 78/79?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,456 Posts
On most vehicles a locksmith can do that. And it's a lot cheaper if you bring the cylinder into his shop instead of having him drive to your house & take your truck apart.

Another option is to cut the door key pattern onto one side of a key & the ignition on the other. Each cylinder only uses one side of the key at a time.
Normally the extra teeth on the back are so you can enter the key either way. If you cut 2 patterns the key can only be used with the correct teeth oriented one way in the lock.

I've done this in the past & cut a notch into the key head to keep track of which side of the key to use where. On a 70 Merc it worked out so that the notch went up in both locks. That was handy.

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,862 Posts
On my 78 my key was being really stubborn. Basically, the key was really worn down, so if you made copies you'd end up with a copy of a really worn out key.

I left my Bronco with a local locksmith since it was just down the street, you could just pop out the cylinder, and he made a new key from a blank by using the pins in the lock itself and it's like having a brand new key. The key works perfectly and doesn't bind up in the locks. If I make a copy from it, I'll get perfect copies again as well. I'd try that out.

Forgot to answer your question, yes, a locksmith can rekey the new cylinder to match the old key. They can do the same for any of the other keys as well. I don't know about anyone else, but my single key unlocks all the external locks on my Bronco and also does the ignition.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
542 Posts
What people have said here. I got new lock cylinders for my Bronco, but the tailgate was the other keyway oval headed key, I went and got a lock cylinder for my tailgate from the local junkyard and took it to my locksmith with the key that fits my doors and ignition and he re-pinned it to work with that key. Now all my locks are the same key.

·
Forward Some Money
5,107 Posts
I know it is an old post, but it popped up because of another thread. Simple answer is "yes". And since the late 70's Broncos used 1 key, in a heartbeat I would pull the old lock and have him re-pin it and code cut new keys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts