Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have looked through this forum as well as the Internet and have not been able to find any information on this. Please forgive me if it's already been addressed or if I'm posting in the wrong place (I'm new to forums in general). I'm wondering if it is possible to actually remove the roof of a bronco. Now when I say roof, I mean the actual roof part over the front seats, not the shell! I absolutely love the look of the older broncos however they are harder to come by and tend to cost a lot more. My dad is a pretty handy guy and I figure if it's possible, the two of us should be able to do it. What I don't want to do is effect the structural safety. I plan on putting in a roll cage regardless, but would this be enough? If anyone has done this and has any advice (or has any reasons why we should not attempt this) I would very much love your feedback! Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
there is a couple people here that have done it
on is a mid 80's I believe and another is a 78-79 style
it has a full frame so it will not fold in two
but you may want to tie in the roll bar to the A pillar to help with structure

what yr bronco?
it is helpful to put year and other vehicle info in your profile

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
Do you intend to leave it off? What are your plans for the doors / front windows? Why? It will still be half again as big as an early Bronco. Are you just trying to achieve the early Bronco look? There are other vehicles, not quite as popular as the EB, but have about the same size and look. IH Scout, anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding, I have not bought it yet. There are several different ones I'm looking at. One is an 89, one is a 79 and funny enough the third is a 69. The 69 is the one I have my heart set on, however it's literally in pieces and costs quite a bit more than the other two. Which is why I am wondering how hard it would be to remove the roof if I got one of the others

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love scouts as well, but again they're harder to find and usually cost more. I'm hoping to be able to put it back on in the winter, but if it's not possible so be it. I would also like to remove the doors during the summer and add them back in the winter. It will definitely be a daily driver

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sounds like you need a jeep. Have you looked into those? Especially the older ones with the 304 v8.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Don't cut up one. Buy a Jeep or save up some more and buy an Early Bronco.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Don't listen to the naysayers, buy a bronco and build it the way you like. If it involves cutting the roof off so be it. I will be making mine removable one day.:beer

·
Forward Some Money
5,051 Posts
If you have ever had an (80 up**) FSB down to bare frame, you'd see how amazingly flimsy it is. The body -with roof intact- helps to add strength, but even a bare body tub is somewhat flimsy. Cut the roof off and you'd compromise that. It would fold in half.

IMO, if you cut off the roof, by the time you get done properly reinforcing it enough to be safe, you'd have enough time and money to justify buying the '69....or a blazer or jeep.

Another thought, if you by the '69 with designs on removing the roof, it wouldn't be safe without at least a front cage. The windshield is not supported very well and would provide minimal protection (if any) in a rollover crash. Mine is tied to the rollcage.

** I cant recall if the 78 & 79 have boxed frames.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Don't listen to the naysayers, buy a bronco and build it the way you like. If it involves cutting the roof off so be it. I will be making mine removable one day.:beer
It's not a question of how he builds it. He is stating he wants an Early Bronco but can't afford one so is considering the approach of a more affordable fullsize and sawzalling the top.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I'm with Dave here. Get one and do it! However cutting it off is the easy part. Making it look good, be functional and being able to have a cover in the rain will be a LOT of work. Anyone can hack the top off. But if you don't want it to be a joke, you'll need to put in a lot of time and skill. If you and your dad can do it then it would be a great father-son project.

AJ has a point - keep in mind it will NEVER be the same as an early Bronco.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This sounds like a daunting task, however if this is more a summer toy or you live in dry climes, I could see how this would be 50 smiles an hour. If you live in the NW, you might as well wear a wet suit while you're driving it (Top on OR off).

Another downside... just another big piece of hardware to store in your garage with your canopy.

Good luck and remember, always have fun!

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank you for responding, I have not bought it yet. There are several different ones I'm looking at. One is an 89, one is a 79 and funny enough the third is a 69. The 69 is the one I have my heart set on, however it's literally in pieces and costs quite a bit more than the other two. Which is why I am wondering how hard it would be to remove the roof if I got one of the others
3 very different Bronco years, each to their own. We picked the 79 and love it ; have considered chopping the top, but doorless and topless works almost as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts