Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

would welding the TTB arms together be just as good as a solid Axle?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just seen a 85 f150 that had its TTB welded into a solid axle is it a good idea has anyone done it i would like to give it a try? what do u guys think?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Err... That is quite the impossible feat. Even though it may "Appear" a solid axle, it certainly is not, and cannot be done unless tubes are added to the TTB pumpkin. But then it kind of defeats the purpose and you should have went solid axle from the start. Plus custom axle shafts, welded C's and knuckles --- it's all big $$$

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK they also swapped the coil springs for leaf springs after making the TTB "solid" what would the tubes be for in the pumpkin so u know of anyone on the site that has tried it?

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
False.. It can be done, and it has been done...

In fact I beleive the is actually a write up on it on this very website. :) I remember reading and there where several people saying it was a good idea if I remember right.

·
Registered
313 Posts
x2 with my alaskan friend. Seems like i read about it a year ago or so on here. Not sure why they would go with leafs though....

·
Registered
457 Posts
looks like you just cut out the mounting brackets, take out your coils, put in leafs, plate and truss the beams, and cut out the extra piece of the beams where they would originally run up to the pivot brackets.

looks like quite a lot of work.. but the result is a trussed D44.

·
Registered
1 Posts
False.. It can be done, and it has been done...

In fact I beleive the is actually a write up on it on this very website. :) I remember reading and there where several people saying it was a good idea if I remember right.
Dang Phil when you gonna get some pics of the black one on here??

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
They already are.. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
This thread didn't go where I expected it, interesting. Learn something new every day.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
looks like you just cut out the mounting brackets, take out your coils, put in leafs, plate and truss the beams, and cut out the extra piece of the beams where they would originally run up to the pivot brackets.

looks like quite a lot of work.. but the result is a trussed D44.
Yep that's all it is. Even though that is "technically" a solid axle since the wheels move dependent on each other, it's nothing more than exactly what you stated. It's all the TTB components and the independent arms are just boxed, braced, trussed, and welded together. They just cut it off of the crossmember so it could move freely.

That is not a solid axle. That barely meets the criteria. Borderline or not, it's still a ttb, with all TTB components.

·
Man of endless projects
9,482 Posts
since TTB is twin traction beam and your basicly maknig them where they cant move independantly, its basicly a solid axle. would you have to change to leafs to do this? making it leafs u might aw swell jsut do a SAS. i like this idea tho cause you can probably weld the beams at an angle to give you better ground clearence in the middle (till you run out of camber adjustment at least).

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Ummm, yea it is.
Just because the arms were welded and boxed, nothing internally was changed. It's still the same TTB shafts (which are 2 piece BEFORE the lockouts) and you are welding the boxed arms together. That BARELY hits the border of a solid axle. The TTB intermediate shafts were not changed to solid shafts as a solid axle would use, (it's still that same 2 piece knuckle design) and then dislocated it from the crossmember.

You are telling me that if I weld my arms together and cut it off of the crossmember its a solid axle... I declare shenanigans on that idea.

It looks, acts, seems, and rides like a solid axle, that doesn't make it one. Get internal pics of what are behind those boxed arms please... anyone...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy shit i love you guys thanks alskan155 and everyone els who helped would you happen to have anymore pics that would help me allot and this is why i love this site iv heard of it but i never seen it befor! lol i know some of you say just do the SAS but the bronco i own is a toy and I'm not the richest guy in the world and it seems to be cheaper to weld them then to do the SAS and if i ruin that while wheeling then i shall do a SAS but until then i wouldn't mind trying out the TTB idea

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
smokey, from what i understand the internals and the shaft of the TTB 44 and the DANA 44 are exactly the same, except for that extra ujoint on the passenger side shaft, and i think the gears are cut differently, but the gear cut shouldn't mean anything in terms of strength.

so yes, it IS a solid axle, and it has been a long known fact the TTB and it's internals are just as strong as a solid axle Dana 44.

so, essentially, that TTB 44 is now a Dana 44.

you're just jealous you didn't do it first. :goodfinge

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
It's a completely stupid idea to paint your Bronco Camo, but you went and did it anyways. You could have made it look nice, but instead you wasted money and did a stupid camo job... You FAIL!!

Oh wait thats right, it's your bronco and you did what you wanted. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it stupid. That guy worked with what he had. And I bet it works great for him. :doh0715:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts