Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at work my tailgate window decided it wanted to crap out on me :doh0715:

It will go down smooth as can be inside with switch and outside with key.

As soon as I try to roll it up you can hear the motor working and spinning but you are required to pull up on the window as you turn the key in order for it to go up. It stays up on its own power without a problem.

It tries to go up it will like catch for a sec or 2 and than stop and spin and do it again.

would that be a gear problem? if so is that replaceable without finding a new motor? or just get a new motor? Since defrost doesnt work should I just look for a used tailgate?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
pull it out and see if its those little plastic gears? If there disintegrated, you can purchase new ones at Advance in the help section for like $7. I had to do every window on my 93. Cheap and easy fix. Here is a pic. Its the 3 little white things.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know where I can get the gears and stuff if they are down for the count?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
anyone know where I can get the gears and stuff if they are down for the count?
I was in PepBoys last month for the very same problem---their catalog lists 2 different gears (like a 49 tooth and a 54 tooth?), and both were special order. So I just decided to try Steve 83's trick with the 1/4" nuts instead, went to my shop and r&r'd the thing in about 90 minutes. 'Tis good as new again........

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in PepBoys last month for the very same problem---their catalog lists 2 different gears (like a 49 tooth and a 54 tooth?), and both were special order. So I just decided to try Steve 83's trick with the 1/4" nuts instead, went to my shop and r&r'd the thing in about 90 minutes. 'Tis good as new again........
Argh, got any suggestions for us without the shop and skills? :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Argh, got any suggestions for us without the shop and skills? :thumbup
I'm telling ya Spike, since you gotta yank the motor out and open her up anyways, it's $21.00 cheaper to use the three 1/4" nuts than it is to buy the right gear and crap.........

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got any pics or instructions or link to the post?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I thought I saw the gears on either Broncograveyard, LMC truck, or National Parts depot magazines. I've never tried to fix mine yet. I have the same problem with one of my windows.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are the power window motors the same for the rear and front windows?

edit*

ok can get the pins from autozone and a near gear set from bronco graveyard for like $30 total.. woot woot

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright now IIRC I can remove the motor without removing anything else in the tailgate right?

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
alright now IIRC I can remove the motor without removing anything else in the tailgate right?
just pull the access cover then unhook the harness from the motor unbolt motor remove replace motor hook up harness replace access cover have a few:beer and thank yourself for the $$$ you saved

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sweet will be doing this later today.. hopefully its not he gears.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
sweet will be doing this later today.. hopefully its not he gears.
Here's a tip---find a trash can with the lid or a piece of plywood (2' x 2') and a pillow or a folded up blanket, so that you can extend the window out and support it, while the tailgate is down. Then you can work on removing the motor and such............

·
Registered
202 Posts
is there a thread on rebuilding the motor? i too need to do this and i believe its the motor. The little rollers are in tact so i think its the motor. I opened the cover but it still doesn't reveal much space. is the motor a hard thing to pull?

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright done! and its soooo smooth and quiet now its just awesome!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts